• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

"new Posts" vs. "No New Posts" icons

stellarpod

I've asked this before but never received an answer.

I've noticed that when I log on to TFL (or THR for that matter), the "New Posts" icons show up as they should - indicating what's new since my last visit. HOWEVER, if I open a new browser window and then go back to TFL, virtually all of the icons will change to "No New Posts". This effectively erases my ability to sort new threads from old ones. I suspect that this is a vBulletin issue, as it does not appear to happen with other board software.

This happened with with the old IE Version 6 and it also happens if I open a new tab with IE Version 7 (beta).

It's really a pain when someone posts a link, and I envoke the link in a separate window only to find that I've trashed all my "New Post" tracking. Highly annoying.

Does anyone else esperience this phenomenon? Have I got something switched improperly?

stellarpod

Mal H

Staff
Just to clarify:

a) You enter TFL at the start of the day and see several threads marked with the new-posts icon.

b) You then open a new IE window to view a link.

c) You immediately (say, within 5 minutes or so) go back to TFL and the new-post icons have changed to the no-new-posts icon.

Is that correct or is the time period in step c 20 minutes or more?

[Note: I have to leave in about 5 minutes. I'll check back here in a few hours. Anyone else who has an idea about the problem might also come along.]

stellarpod

That is essentially correct. It happens in seconds - not minutes.

There are sometimes a few (3 or 4) "New Post" icons at the top, which I attribute to new postings that happen in the interim between when I left and when I return.

I have put up with this literally for years and I am stumped.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Further clarification:

I ALWAYS leave the original TFL window open. It happens just by opening another window.

If I'm reading a thread, click on a link and open a new window, I can't expect that when I back up to the thread listings page my "New Posts" icons will be gone.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

stellarpod

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I used to use Internet Exploder and I think there is a setting that refreshes the cache either: A. Every time a page loads. B. When a page content changes. C. Manually. You should try changing it to B - it sounds like it is currently set to A.

The reason I can't give you exact instruction is because whenever I open IE it locks up my computer. Firefox is the way to go for web browsing.

-Dave

Mal H

Staff
If it happens in seconds or a few minutes, then my initial theory is not correct. I thought you might have been auto-logged off of TFL. However, it takes 20 minutes or more for that to happen.

I think the answer lies somewhere in your system. Try the setting TBM suggested. I honestly don't think there is anything TFL (or vbulletin) is doing to cause that problem.

I also second his suggestion of using Firefox in lieu of IE.