New policy, or just another type...

margiesex

Hey Fellas - I've just come across some Win. .40 S&W cases that appear to be "crimped"....at least that what it looks like to me, and I can not get a small pistol primer to go into the pocket using my Lee Auto Prime.

Am I safe to assume these are some sort of "NT" or non-toxic round, or has Winchester decided to start crimping their primer pockets?

I find no mark on the cases indicating it is anything other than a regular round. And, I know that Fed., for example, puts NT on the headstamp of their "non-toxic" .45's.

Please tell me I got a bunch of "green" rounds and that I do not have to go out and get the tools to re-do the pockets.

Thanks to all, and although I'm new to this site - it's great - thanks for making it happen!

Margiesex

And remember: hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!

Bailey Boat

Well if a primer won't seat there must be "something" different. Take a look with a magnifying glass since sometimes a primer crimp can be hard to see with the naked eye........

stratmeister

Typically military ammo is crimped and a lot of the surplus brass you can get cheaply is like that. There are the benchmount primer pocket swagers that do the job of removing the crimps quickly and easily if you have a ton of brass to do, but they are a bit pricy unless you do a lot or just have the extra cash.

There are also some small hand held swagers that will do the job much cheaper. Not sure about the NT possibility.

Anyway, check this out as one way to do it, an inexpensive option if you have a bunch of brass to use:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=447022

D. Manley

New policy, or just another type...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Fellas - I've just come across some Win. .40 S&W cases that appear to be "crimped"....at least that what it looks like to me, and I can not get a small pistol primer to go into the pocket using my Lee Auto Prime.

Am I safe to assume these are some sort of "NT" or non-toxic round, or has Winchester decided to start crimping their primer pockets?

I find no mark on the cases indicating it is anything other than a regular round. And, I know that Fed., for example, puts NT on the headstamp of their "non-toxic" .45's.

Please tell me I got a bunch of "green" rounds and that I do not have to go out and get the tools to re-do the pockets.

Thanks to all, and although I'm new to this site - it's great - thanks for making it happen!

Margiesex

And remember: hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!

That's a bit odd with .40 brass...? I've never ran across any crimped .40 cases and even if they are the N/T type brass, pockets should be the same as regular SPP pockets.

AlaskaMike

All of the Speer .45 Auto brass I've ever run across has really tight primer pockets, and if I don't run them through my RCBS primer pocket swager I seem to run a 50/50 chance of crushing the primer when I try to seat it. I wonder if it's just something like that?

Mike

margiesex

New?

Thanks for all the input.

These are really an enigma to me. I primed a bunch yesterday of Win. 40's. There were a bunch of those I had mentioned. I could not get a SPP into them. There were a few, that with some force, took one. But, by in large, if it looked the part (a small ring of brass surrounding the pocket) they would not take a primer.

About the Speer loads. I, too, have found a number of Speer cases for .45 that are primed with Small Pistol Primers. I keep them separate from the rest and prime and load them sep. as well. They function well, and from the looks of those I have, I'd guess they were made by Speer some time ago, as they do not appear to be new manufacture at all. All the "new looking" Speer brass I have is Large Pistol in the .45.

The .40 Win. though remain a mystery.

At this point I don't think I'll invest in a tool for these few. However, if it becomes the future, then, of course it will have to be bought!

Thanks again and God bless you all.

Margiesex

And remember - hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both - and soon!

D. Manley

If the primers are truly crimped, it should be fairly obviously especially, using a little magnification. I have no idea if it's relevant but I've seen a few posts here & there saying Winchester had used S&B to make some of their brass in recent months. If true, the mystery would be solved. S&B makes some very good brass however, the primer pockets are very tight and have almost no bevel...a very sharp "break" on the shoulder of the pocket making priming difficult. On these, I give 'em a bump with the Dillon Super-Swage and good to go.

You might consider decapping these and using a chamfering tool to put a little bevel on the pocket and see if it helps.