New Pistol!

chewie146

Well, since I was a wee lad, I've always wanted a TC Contender. I finally found one today. I'm not a big spender or a big money maker. My wife and I have 3 kids, so I was holding out on a great deal. They don't come around that often. There was a model 10 there today that was a 2" snub nose with good wood and bluing for 270. I really like those little snubs, but it was gone by the time I got the cash. The guy sold it out from under me. I found another table with TCs in the $600 range. In the corner of the glass was a lonely .357 contender for $300. I talked the guy down to $275 and it was a deal. Now I'm the proud owner of a TC contender, 1st Gen, for a price I can live with and in a caliber I own. I'd love to get a .22 barrel and a .30-30 barrel for it, but for now, the .357 will do just fine.

0826121409%20%281%29.jpg

0826121753%20%281%29.jpg

Last edited:

10-96

Congratulations on your first purchase!

Doncha just love it when a deal unexpectedly falls in your lap? That's one of those things that leave me with a good feeling for a long time.

Let us know how it shoots!

Cheapshooter

Congratulations!!! But let me warn you about the addiction of the Contender. Your barrel will get lonesome soon! Although the 357 is a fine cartridge, and a good 22 rimfire is a must, soon the urge will be to move up to the rifle calibers. From 22 Hornet to 45-70, youi will find a desire, and reason for all. Since I got my used G2 with a 35 Remington Super 14 barrel, and 14" 22 LR Match barrel last year I have added a 223 14", and a 45-70 ported 10". Next on the list is the Hornet, then something in 7MM, then, then, then. You get the picture.
It doesn't end there either. If you aren't into reloading, you will be soon if you catch the 'Tender Fever. Handloads can make it an even better shooter.
Here's a forum with a few "enablers" to help you get hooked. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=24.0

chewie146

Apparently mine is really old, which is fine. I don't want a ton of calibers. The reason I got a .357 is because that's the only center-fire handgun caliber I have anymore. I like the long barreled ballistics of the .357. Heck, even with 6" on a revolver, it's 200-yard capable when I do my part. Now I just need to learn to shoot with a scope. The only other calibers I want are .44 magnum and .22 lr. The .44 would be because my dad already has all the goodies for that, and I reload all his ammo anyway.

Bob Wright

Those things are really nice, even though they lack a cylinder.

The small caliber high velocity stuff, including the .357 Magnum, is a hoot to shoot, with minimal recoil and flat, flat, shooting.

But scopes give me a hard time on handguns, never got used to them.

Fellow lives near my daughter makes custom barrels for these pistols, and I was introduced to the TC with some of his barrels. My favorite was a .30-40 Krag barrel.

Bob Wright

chewie146

I'm not used to them yet either. I need to practice. Luckily, I have a whole bunch of .38s I can use to get used to a scope and then I can find a magnum load I like.

chewie146

I have a question for you all. I've done the searches on this forum and on other online resources, and I get mixed reviews of what will happen if I get a new G2 barrel for my contender. What's the deal with this? Will new barrels work or not? I'm not too concerned, but it seems that the answers are mixed. Also, given the size of the contender, can anyone recommend a good holster?

Pahoo

Contender bug; strikes again !!!

Congratulations!!! But let me warn you about the addiction of the Contender.
Very good point and didn't think I could ever go there. Then the deals kept on coming and now have more barrels than I can bring to mind. ..... :rolleyes:

chewie
That is a very good deal you got and did the scope come with it? These contenders are great shooters and yours has an adjustable trigger. Also get use to working with the open & cocking operation as well as the slide selector on Rim to Center cartridges. As far as the G2 barrels on older frames, here is what TC states;
*Note: The G2 Muzzleloader barrel will not fit on old-style Contender frames. No attempt should be made to alter the old-style Contender frame, or the G2 muzzleloader barrel to facilitate this installation.
This should work to your advantage as used Contender barrels are fairly easy to find and resonable. .. :)

I do know that the Contender barrels will fit on the new G2 frames. You have to be selective about the larger calibers in the Contender frames. The G2's have a stronger frames. .... :)
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

chewie146

Thanks for the information on all that. So, if I stick to pistol/revolver calibers such as .357, .44, etc. I should be ok, right? I'm not a glutton for punishment and 300 grains of .44 moving around 900 fps should be more than enough to handle anything I'm after with a pistol in NM. The scope is one I had sitting around, and I have another scope coming. The rail came with the gun, but no scope. I really like the .357. What kind of strength are we talking on the original contender frames? Will it handle hot .357?

Pahoo

I'm a TC fan

Will it handle hot .357?
You should be okay but as in most cases, I would refer you to the Tech. Dept at TC. Their contact info is on their website. ... :)
Have not had to contact them since S&W took over, but they have always been receptive to customer's needs. I'd just wish they would get back into the SideLock business. .... :D

For my Contender, my hunting barrels are 30-30 Winchester, .44 Rem. Mag and 45LC. .... ;)

Be Sasfe !!!

chewie146

I don't push them out of bounds, but I'd like to get to the upper 1/4 of .357. I'll try giving them a call and see what happens.