New pistol question......what to buy

oldcars

I am looking for a winter carry/truck/fourwheeler gun that has more power and capacity than my LCP but smaller than my Taurus PT99 (which it might replace) and 1911. I am usually a revolver guy, but I want the ease of loading and unloading with a magazine and the slimmer size for this guns use.It needs to be ultra reliable and tough, and be able to deal with moisture, dust, etc. here are the local options I think I will pick from, what would you go with?

New Glock 19 3rd gen. $463

Used Glock 23 1st gen. police trade in $387

Used Sig 229 .40cal police trade in $467

Used Beretta Cougar 9mm $310

Used S&W SW99 9mm $310

uncledewey

Have looked at the Kahr MK-40. It's a powerful little pistol, 3" barrel and quite reliable. However, it does have quite a long trigger pull. And there is the new Springfield XD, comes in a 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45.

rsxr22

your on the right track with the Glock's and feel comfortable buying used. They are probably the best gun to do so. They always work and are priced good.

oldcars

Hey thanks for the input, I have owned Ruger autos and they never failed me, but just not quite what I want, the Kahrs are good I had a K9 in the past, but I am looking for a double stack, and the XD's just don't fit my hand right. Besides the finger grooves in the grip and the rail, what is the difference between a 1st and 3rd gen Glock?

scottycoyote

you nixed the xd, so other then that id go with the glock. I dont know of a reason not to go with the 1st gen (you prob wont ever need the acc rail, etc), other than if you want to use the gun for something else later, it would be nice to have all the latest kit on the gun. Hey you might want to look at www.summitgunbroker.com, i was looking at his stuff yesterday and he has a ton of different glocks right now, used and new.