New P226 Tac Ops disassembly and reassembly is tough

Davey

The slide on my new p226 Tac Ops is awfully stiff to take off and put on. I try it the official Sig way with decocking the hammer as the slide closes but it always feels like I have to force it off. It's the same with putting the slide back on. It initially slides on easily enough but once it gets to the back of the frame I feel like I have to force it on.

Anyone got any advice regarding this? I'm afraid of damaging my gun.

Thanks

Robk

Decocking the pistol? I have taken apart all my Sigs in this manner: Verify pistol is safe, remove magazine if not previously removed, rack slide and lock in place, actuate disassembly lever, and remove slide from frame. Never had an issue, and the pistol is not decocked ever. When reassembling a slide on a frame with a decocker hammer, you are cocking the hammer and have to over come hammer pressure. Could this be your source of difficulty? If not, check for unusal wear on the slide and rails. Is anything else binding? But I feel IMHO that the difficulty is you having to recock the hammer as you put the slide back on the pistol.

Crioche

SIG are very pragmatic about telling owners to decock their pistols rather than squeeze the trigger, but it's only to preserve the life of your pistol further and enhance safety.

For stripping, as long as it's clear, it shouldn't matter if the hammer is cocked or decocked, because you are going to draw the slide and hold it to the rear on the latch, whilst you rotate the stripping lever and allow the slide to go forward off the rails under control.

If its still on the slide rails, it might require some adjustment at a gunsmiths. If its relatively new, take it back and ask them to do it - P226's are prestige handguns and they shouldn't be difficult to take apart.

BarryLee

I believe the Tac Ops comes with the short rest trigger (SRT) which sometimes requires a different procedure for disassembly. However, since you mention decocking the pistol I assume you already know this and are following the procedure. Just for reference I have included a link to the procedure.

Just curious if you have attempted to remove the slide using the traditional disassembly procedure? The reason I ask is my two SIGS have the SRT and I can very easily remove the slide using the traditional procedure. So, if you have not tried it see if it will work.

If you still have a problem simply give SIG a call and see what they have to say.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/OwnerManual/2OM-SRT-INSERT%20(1%20UP).pdf

Uncle Malice

You are supposed to decock the SRT before removing the slide - per the manual.

You will still feel some resistance. It's normal. That little leg that sticks up next to the hammer/sear has to get pushed down. I wouldn't worry about it.

BarryLee

Why not give SIG a call and discuss the issue with them? I called with a question when I bought my P220 and they were very helpful. Also, if you purchased the gun from a local gun shop why not take it back and see if they might have any information. Anyway, good luck.