New Orleans Lawsuit

Karanas

With the Louisiana legislature back in session barely two weeks, several bills aimed at voiding the New Orleans lawsuit against gun manufacturers are progressing rapidly. Sponsored by Governor Mike Foster, these bills have garnered overwhelming support in the legislature, making their passage virtually assured. The only voices of opposition have come from a few New Orleans area representatives and our good friends at the local chapter of the ACLU.
In a recent survey on this issue taken in N.O., only 21% agreed with Mayor Morial's position, 73% with Governor Foster and 6% undecided.
In addition to bills that would invalidate N.O.'s lawsuit, Governor Foster has also endorsed bills that would drastically increase mandatory jail time for crimes committed with firearms. These bills are also progressing rapidly through the legislature.
On a related topic, many of the old police handguns and firearms seized from criminals that Mayor Morial traded to Glock in exchange for new police handguns (with the understanding that they would not be resold in Louisiana) are showing up in local gun shops. Morial was humiliated on national TV when his hypocritical trade with Glock was revealed. According to local gun shop dealers, these firearms, especially the handguns stamped N.O.P.D., are selling like crazy because of a perceived "collectors" value that this notoriety has given them.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
One major financial blow has already come to New Orleans when the SHOT SHOW announced that they were not going back to New Orleans in 2000 as originally planned. It has been rescheduled for Vegas :)

Karanas

Actually, the SHOT show was scheduled to return to N.O. 5 or 6 times in the next 10 years. Conservative estimates of lost revenue are put at approximately $145 million.

Destructo6

What a joke, New Orleans with, arguably, the most corrupt police force and government of any US city, are attempting to sue gun manufacturers? I suppose suing would be much easier and cost effective than cleaning up their own affairs.

othermarc

INterestingly enough, I just bought a Beretta 92fs from a dealer in Florida who advertises over GunXchange.com. These pistols were NOPD issue, come with two hi cap mags and all the fixings. He makes the valid point that the first city t osue gun manufacturers is turning around and selling Police guns on the market! They claim gun manufacturers are saturating the market, yet it is ok for them to sell used Police guns. Go figure.

------------------
Live Free or Die

Karanas

Othermarc, the way things are going, that NOPD Beretta you bought could be more valuable than you think. I'll let you know if the asking price on them skyrockets. The owner of one of the local gun shops said that the demand is not coming from his usual customers, but rather people more interested in acquiring a novelty item.
I wonder what da' mayor thinks about this latest craze he created.