New No Lock S&W's @ Bud's

azredhawk44

Excellent.

[Emperor Palpatine]
Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen.
[/Palpatine]

combat-jedi1.gif

longranger

I'm waiting for the L and N frames and the "Classics" with no lock.I need a Mdl 58 with no lock.I have one "Classic" with the lock and never any issues just won't buy anymore.But the J frames are a nice start.

Glenn E. Meyer

Now, why did you go post this and give me a burning desire to buy:

1. A SS 632
2. A 3 inch Model 63
3. A snubby Centennial pattern 22 LR.

Do I have any use for these - NO! But - waaaah! :D

zombieslayer

If a batch of no-lock 640's shows up I'll get one. I even have a buddy who really wants my current 640, so I hope the opportunity arises.

Duke City Six

They have been offering some of the J frames without the lock for some time now. I think ONLY J frames, like the Centennial, Bodyguard, etc, not even the model 60. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be ANY indication that any of the Ks, Ls or Ns are on the way.

Beginning? They have had runs off and on for a few years
Yep. Apparently, there's a batch of pre-lock frames in the warehouse, and every now and then, they'll put out a batch of guns using them.

Unfortunately, this is not indicative of future plans. From what folks at S&W have told me, the lock is here to stay.

Massad Ayoob has apparently written in American Handgunner that SW said last year they were phasing out the locks.
Actually, the Wikipedia article is mistaken. That came up last year, and I was unable to find anything about that in the article cited.

I've since heard from two S&W representatives that the lock isn't being phased out. That's how I found out about the "leftover frame" practice. After all, the company that makes the locks is the company that owns S&W.

FlyFish

Actually, the Wikipedia article is mistaken. That came up last year, and I was unable to find anything about that in the article cited.

Yup, I remember that discussion as well. Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

longranger

There have been discussions over at the S&W forum that there is in fact that S&W will be offering up some addtional revolvers less the lock.All hope should not be lost.

18DAI

The lock free 640's will be issued in the "Pro series". My guy says a 3" lock free 640 in 357, with night sights is what he has seen. If it shows up, I'll take it!

Bout time they stopped with the wind up gun garbage and offered something worth owning. Regards 18DAI.

spacecoast

Bout time they stopped with the wind up gun garbage and offered something worth owning

I'm as un-fond of the ILS as anyone, and have disabled it my revolvers so endowed, but I fail to see how there will be any real difference in function or build quality between new revolvers with and without ILS.

Are the new non-ILS models built better in some way? Better materials, more hand fitting, forged vs. MIM parts??? Y'all seem to be expecting a lot.

smee78

I just want S&W to offer the gun models both ways, one with and one with out, like buying a car some people perfer an auto and some perfer a stick shift. Just give us the consumer the option. I personally wont buy a lock gun with all of the older Smith's out there.

KyJim

Oh well. On the bright side, I just saved some money.