New Night Sights?

Glenn E. Meyer

Sigh - well - yesterday I am happily shooting my Glock 19 with TruGlo fiber optic tritium nights sights. They were a few years old.

I noticed a bit ago that the front sight was getting dim. Oh - yesterday - I raise my sights and guess what, on the second stage of a match, the fiber optic tube has vanished into the void. The metal sight is empty!

So time to replace them. I won't trust the rear not to do that. Given I have some points and gift cards from Cabelas - I see they have Trijicons and Meprolights. I have Trijs on another gun and had Meps a long time ago.

Thoughts for users? The Meps have different color front and back and look interesting.

arrtvandelay

i'm a fan of meprolights. i have the orange rears and green front on my g26, and the contrasting colors make it pretty easy to pick out a target in low light situations. in the next few wks, i plan on adding the same mepro contrasting sights to my g19 as well...

that being said, trijcions are great as well. i have trijicons on my sig, and i personally think they're slightly brighter than the mepros on my g26. i just prefer the mepro dots for daytime shooting and contrasting colors for dim light situations...

Mrgunsngear

I have both and agree that the trijicons seem brighter than the mepros. That said, my primary HD handgun, G21 SF, has mepros with green front and yellow rear. I think it may make sight aquisition a split second faster. Could be just mentally wanting to think that though... Either way, I like them :D

chris in va

I used my G21SF in competition and had a hard time with the Meprolight rears. A Dawson front fiber optic helped, but the narrow rear notch just wasn't helpful for quick acquisition.

Walt Sherrill

You can replace the fiber optic unit that's missing.

That's been the only criticism of the TruGlo sights I've heard -- that the fiber optic unit is fragile. You can get replacement units, and have a couple of extras on hands is probably a good idea. (That's a problem with most fiber optic sights, and not just TruGlo.)

Tritium elements should last a LOT longer than a few years.

The firber-optic sights works far better in daylight or lighted conditions than other night sights. And the TruGlo design theoretically offers the best of both options.

If you choose NOT to replace or update your TruGlos, look for night sights with a "white" surround or ring around the tritium elements. Not all night sights offer that option.

CDW4ME

I've got the yellow rear, green front Meprolight sights on a subcompact Glock and like them just fine.
I have Trijicon night sights too and they also work great.
I have some Trijicons on a Les Baer that have a little silver ring around the tritium vile instead of the typical white; I do not like the little silver ring version very much.

Jason_G

I noticed a bit ago that the front sight was getting dim. Oh - yesterday - I raise my sights and guess what, on the second stage of a match, the fiber optic tube has vanished into the void. The metal sight is empty!

I've heard this more than a few times with the TFOs.

I like Trijicon, in yellow rear/green front combo, FWIW.

Jason