New N-Frame

KyJim

I just added a new N-frame to the stable. It's a Model 27-2 in excellent condition but no box. I had no intention of buying a gun when I went into the store. They had three 27s and I decided to pony up the cash for the one in the best condition. Photos don't do the rich finish of the Model 27 justice.

SW_Model_27-2_6in_DSCN1416.jpg

SW_Model_27-2_6in_DSCN1425.jpg

stevieboy

You're gonna love the gun. It's enormous fun to shoot and very, very accurate. I acquired one recently and it quickly has become my favorite revolver. However, I have one problem with mine. Those gigantic target grips just kill me when I fire fully loaded .357s with the gun. I posted earlier today on the S & W forum about my first attempt to shoot 125 gr. Remington magnums with those targets on the gun. Very painful. So, I've decided that traditional looks be damned, I want to shoot it comfortably and I've ordered a set of Pachmyr presentations.

Zilmo

Nothing much prettier than a six inch Smith! That's a beauty. My brother had one just like it, but recently sold it.

KyJim

However, I have one problem with mine. Those gigantic target grips just kill me when I fire fully loaded .357s with the gun.
I understand what you mean. I have a 4-inch Model 27 that was my nightstand gun for many years and thought the target stocks were too large. I used a set of ugly rubber grips (Hogue I think) on it as long as it was doing home defense duties. I can use these but may end up buying some after-market wood stocks.

Hammer It

Hello KYJim
Congratulations on your New 27 Find. I feel the Model 27 Was the Most elaborate S&W Revolver made and the Only One with the top strap and rear sight cross hatch checkered. I myself came across this Pre-27 recently. It was shipped in 1954 and Has Three T's as shown with It's 3-1/2" Barrel. It goes well with my Model 27 5" Nickel revolver... Hammer It

Pre-27_Coke_s_1.JPG

Pre-27_Coke_s_5.JPG

27-2_2.jpg

27-2_6.jpg

pogo2

Try Ahrends grips on 27

I have an old model 27 made in 1957, with the 8-3/8 inch barrel. I have tried different grips for it, and the most comfortable I have are Ahrends N frame finger groove grips. They fit my hand perfectly, and have helped my accuracy with the gun.

SW2720.jpg

SW2721.jpg

KyJim

Pogo2 -- Nice gun and nice stocks. I'm thinking of Ahrends or some Herretts because they will custom make to fit your hand ( I have fairly small hands).

HammerIt -- As always, you have some beautiful guns. Are those original stocks on the pre-Model 27?

BTW, here are is my 4-inch Model 27-3.

SW_Model_27-3_4in_DSCN1391.jpg

SW_Model_27-3_4in_DSCN1397.jpg

Hammer It

HammerIt -- As always, you have some beautiful guns. Are those original stocks on the pre-Model 27?

Hello KYJim
Yes, They are Original Coke Profile Factory S&W Target Grips. Regards, Hammer It