New Mossberg 500

Rob96

On New Years Eve I bought a new Mossy 500 SP with 7 shot mag tube and 2o inch barrel. The store had a 15% off all new shotguns sale, so I got it for $229 plus tax.

Took it to the range today and ran 25 rounds of field loads, 10 rounds of Winchester Ranger reduced recoil OO buckshot and 15 rounds Remington standard OO buckshot through it. The Mossy handled fine. Too bad I couldn't take the cold or I would have shot more. From 20yds the Remington standard OO buckshot produced the best pattern and kept all 9 pellets within a 8"x11" piece of paper.

Sgt.Fathead

Rob, I own more 870s than Mossys but I do have quite a few of those, too. The 500 SP is a fine gun. The tang mounted safety vs. the 870 cross bolt is superior for an HD gun. Enjoy it!

Ever go to the Shamokin Quarry to shoot? I used to go out there years ago with a friend for, I believe, some type of orchestrated dump shoot.

Last edited:

Rob96

Ever go to the Shamokin Quarry to shoot? I used to go out there years ago with a friend for, I believe, some type of orchestrated dump shoot.

Nope never been up that far to shoot.