New Model Blackhawk .357 (or The Best Wife Ever)

Uncle Buck

I needed (OK, Wanted) a new pistol to shoot all the .38 special/.357's out of that I have been reloading.

My wife picked this one out for me. Beautiful gun, shoots straight and is a pleasure to hold. I need to get new grips for it, I like wood better than plastic.

When it comes to measuring the barrel, do I measure it to the frame (5.5") or measure it to the forcing cone (6")?

I am so happy and giddy that I do not want to do much today except shoot it.

She also bought me 1K large pistol primers (for my .45 Colt) and 1K small pistol primers (for the .38 Special), the Blue Book of Gun Values, a bottle of 700-X powder and two more boxes to keep my ammunition in.

She is definitely a wonderful lady. It is not even my birthday or our anniversary. Good Lord, I love this lady!

aarondhgraham

Hate's you Uncle Buck,,, Hate's you we does,,,,,

okay,,, maybe hate is a bit strong,,,

Howzabout,,,
I am sooooooo danged jealous of your wife,,,
Perhaps she could conduct weekend workshops for other wives and girlfriends.

Aarond, the jealous old fart,,,

rodfac

Geez Buck...you better start investing in roses, fancy night wear, shoes, and anything else her pretty little heart desires....She's a keeper for sure.

You didnt' mention what type she bought you..but all revolvers to my knowledge are measured from the muzzle to the cylinder face for barrel length. As to grips, check out Cary Chapman's offerings, not cheap, but absolutely top quality. Whoops...just saw the title...NMBH. Cary makes grips for them...

Rodfac

Laz

I thought the .357 Blackhawk came in either 4 5/8 inch or 6 1/2 inch configuration. I don't think they offer it in 5 1/2.

Uncle Buck

That is why I am wondering how to measure the barrel. If I place the muzzle on the table and the scale along side the barrel, it measures just over 5 3/4" to the front of the frame. If I put the scale down the barrel and measure through the frame, to the forcing cone, I get over six inches.

It is the Black New Blackhawk. I do know they make it in stainless and will be trying to get one of these, but I am happy I have what I have and will shortly attempt to wear it out by firing thousands of rounds through it.

I love this woman. She gives special a new meaning.

bikerbill

I'm retired, my wife is younger then me -- ok, a bunch younger -- and is still working. Last week she got a pretty big promotion. She comes home, says "you've been so supportive ... why don't we use some of my raise and get you a new gun?" No honey, you should just get a bunch of shoes ... haha not likely ... now making a list of suitable candidates and blessing the day she walked into my life (for many more reasons than her generosity... and she doesn't even shoot!)

Winchester_73

That is why I am wondering how to measure the barrel.

The barrel starts where the bullet enters the barrel at the forcing cone after leaving the cylinder. Therefor, you measure the barrel from the forcing cone or the front face of the cylinder to the muzzle.

Uncle Buck, you're a pretty lucky guy to have a woman like that!