New Mk4 Series 70

mykeal

I've just come upon an unfired nickel Colt Mk4 Series 70 Government Model; s/n says it was made in the early 70's. This will be my first 1911, my first .45ACP, and my first semiauto handgun.

What problems am I likely to encounter and what are the solutions?

RickB

The miniscule sights are hard to see.
Some guns suffer premature failure of the collett barrel bushing, but I don't know that I'd change it prematurely, either. There are good replacements available, but you probably won't find any in nickel plate.
S70s still had the small, G.I. style barrel throat that is not always going to be compatible with bullet shapes other than round-nose. "Modern" magazines with parallel feedlips probably won't help, but hybrid feedlip mags from Check-Mate Industries won't hurt.

rbernie

What problems am I likely to encounter and what are the solutions?
Ammo costs will make you sad. The solution is to cut back on other, less important, expenditures. :)

The prior two posts said pretty much everything that needed saying; it's a great heirloom piece and it has very few actual issues. Were it mine, I would make sure that the bushing is solid and not a collet bushing, and swap it out if it was. I would also lay in a stock of the Colt/Checkmate stainless steel hybrid mags. Other than that, just shoot it.