New mini 14 .... Not so new story

1stmar

New mini 14 .... Not so new story-UPDATE

Was looking for a new semi auto that would be inexpensive to shoot, had iron sights and was reasonably accurate (2moa or less). Given that I live in the horrific state of CT, my options were limited. That being said, I love the m1a and the m1 so the mini fit the bill.. Well mostly. Got a good deal on a used mini ($499), serial number 582-. After I cleaned it and checked it over, I saw no indications it had ever been fired. No wear marks and bore was clean. First trip to the range was disappointing, but it was dusk and I was at my best. Loaded up some more ammo and was planning on using ocw to find my load. Oh and I mounted a Burris 3x9 because I wasn't overly pleased with the irons sights. 1.5 hrs later, pretty much the same results. Some groups in the 2-3 moa but most. Were so bad id rather not talk about it. Most ammo was 55 gr hornady 2267, some was federal ar 223. I did have 7 bullets that were hornady 55 sp. they were not boat tail, and while there were only 7, they seemed promising. I'm going to try something in the 62-70 gr range since it's a 1:9 twist, I'm hoping it likes those better. I've read it doesn't like boat tails so I will try that too. Disappointed a little, but kind of expected it. I like all other aspects of the rifle. If I have to I will have it rebarreled, not the end of the world. Maybe I'll try the accu strut but not a big fan of gimmicks. Anyway thought I'd post about it. I know it's nothing new for these rifles but I was hopeful. If anyone has experience with heavier loads in the mini let me know, same for boat tails.

Last edited:

10-96

With a serial number that low- are you sure the rifle isn't an early 1st generation with a 1:12 twist? If so, your answer my dwell back the other way towards 40-52gr pills.

1stmar

I did a look up on the serial number looked like it was made in 2014. Maybe I am misremembering the number. 582 is just the first 3. The next four (I believe ) began w a 7.

giaquir

Just for giggles try a 52 or a 55 gr boattail on top of 24 gr
of H4895 and see what groups you get.

1stmar

Tried both 60 and 69 gr today. Much better, nothing to brag about but groups were 2-2.5". I did find that waiting 2min between shots helped out. I have more experimenting to do. I will work up a load using ocw and then try to identify the cool down time. Today I started at 2 min between shots and the dropped each shot by 30 sec till I was down to 30 sec. Groups started sub moa and opened up to 2-2.5 for 5 shots. I think with proper load development and cooling period I can strike a balance that will give me 1.5-2. Moa. Feeling much better about it.

I did find some "high" spots in the barrel while cleaning. The patch drags and releases at the same points. I guess it needs to be lapped.

tobnpr

The Mini Ranch (which I assume you have?) isn't designed for target shooting- they have the Target model for that. It's supposed to shoot sub 2 minute- so you're where you're supposed to be.

The Garand (M14) styled action limits accuracy due to it's mass- they were never intended to be tack drivers, but will go "bang" every time you pull the trigger.

I had an Accu-strut on mine, but that was on the old style "pencil" barrel, I don't think it will improve your accuracy as you seem to be getting what the rifle is intended to deliver. I added 1911 bushings,helped cushion the action "slamming"

One thing that helped mine was bedding- and I would suggest it. There's a great video on this gunsmith's website (bottom left corner):
http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini14.htm

Also, Accuracy Systems makes an adjustable gas block as they often sling brass into the next county.

1stmar

Tobnpr I'll be satisfied with 2 moa, would like 1.5 moa, but will settle for 1.5. I'm going to see what I can get out of it and then determine next steps. Asi has a package for~700 that includes bedding and a new barrel. The gas block is not adjustable but it's definitely an upgrade I want. I have one my M1 and it's great, cases drop at my feet vs 30 feet away. It is a ranch rifle, and I like it very much. Must say though, I've had 4-5 ftf on out of 150 rds or so. All with factory ammo, black box American eagle, using factory magazine. The heavier bullets seem to make a big difference but in retrospect, those hornady 2267 shoot lousy in my 23-250. They shoot ok in my ar but nothing else for me. I'd rather shoot the heavier stuff anyway.

Quick question- can you load lead in reduced loads in a gas system? Thinking that's not advisable.

Mosin-Marauder

Lead would be a pain to clean in a semi-auto, i would think. Especially if it got in the gas block or something. Might not feed either. Lead bullets don't feed (at least the ones I've tried) in my K-31, so I imagine they wouldn't feed terribly well in a semi auto either.

mes228

Ruger

About a year and a half ago I purchased one in 6.8 and my friend purchased one in .223 caliber. Both were the most inaccurate rifles I've ever fired. You would think something was physically broken to perform so badly. And both of these were the supposedly new type more accurate ones. Both shot "minute of pie plate" with several ammo types/weights. My friend is a older "Bulls Eye" competitor and a dead eye dick meticoulous shooter. I can shoot inch or better groups on a normal day with a firearm that will do it. Neither rifle was accurate enough to keep.

I've read that they become more accurate after about 300 rounds. However, at today's ammo prices I wasn't about to spring for 300 rounds to find out. So both went down the road. Sadly, I like everything about the rifles but the accuracy was something I could not live with. A rifle with optics should be a precision instrument and not shoot like a smooth bore.

1stmar

To be fair, initially I only tried two loads, 1 factory and 1 reload. Both shoot ok in my ar. But as I mentioned my 22-250 which is easily 1/2 moa wouldn't shoot the hornady 55gr fmj worth a darn. Given the 1:9, I'm not surprised it likes the heavier bullets. I didn't expect for much better then 2 moa. I think that's achieve able after my last range session, perhaps a bit better. I'm not declaring victory or surrender yet. I really like the rifle, in the end it will shoot, just depends on how much more I have to invest in it.

That being said, I know they have a target version, not what I am looking for. However, maintains the same barrel thickness for another 6-8" can't add that much weight, seems like they are giving up more then they need to, he'll shorten it another 2-3 inches and keep the barrel thickness constant.

In many ways I'm getting satisfaction from finding a working recipe. I've gone from 6+" to 2-2.5" already. Still need to go back and validate and improve but that's the value in reloading. It's rewarding in the end.

Last edited:

tobnpr

Asi has a package for~700 that includes bedding and a new barrel.

Ouch....

You didn't specify...do you have the wood, or synthetic stock?

I still suggest you bed it, it's not difficult- and IMO, is critical for wringing accuracy out of this platform. The heavy op-rod slamming back and forth (and the 1911 buffers help that) wants to move the action in the stock. Bedding got me from broad side of a barn to about 2-1/2- and the Accustrut helped with stringing. But like I said, that was an older pencil barrel.

I'm surprised you had any FTF's at all- if you continue to have an issue, contact Ruger. The Mini has survived (even as the AR platform emerged) because of it's simplicity and reliability.

Good luck with it, they're great rifles. I sold mine for top $$ at the height of the "scare", and would love to get another.

Ibmikey

Ruger has a new model with what must be a three pound barrel and a weight on the end the size of a tomato can to help with harmonics. My tactical 16" with flash hider will hit soda cans at fifty but not real great beyond. My AR's are right on at 100 and death on cans, plastic bottles etc.
Of the half dozen Mini 's I have had through the years....they were fun, just expect mediocre accuracy.

Last edited:

NickySantoro

OP,
FWIW, the trigger on mine was awful. A good polishing helped that and improved the groups. Using Fed AE 50 gr JHPs also helped. Mine was a 1:7 twist.

1stmar

Sent my rifle to ruger with notes about its poor accuracy. Got it back today, they installed a new barrel and bolt stop. They fired two 3 shot test groups at 50 using 55gr American eagle. Both groups were .35". Pretty encouraging. Going to get out Saturday and see how it shoots at 100. If I'm close to moa I'm a happy camper. Be even happy if I can get the to return my magazine I sent in with the rifle.