new mini-14 accuracy

vikingextreme93

What kind of accuracy are people getting with new new taper barrel? I see lots of people say they are pretty accurate but not a lot of numbers, are we talking 2", 4" at 100 yards or what? I keep trying to talk myself into an AR but the thought of the Mini looms.

KMO

My new factory tactical version is giving me 3-4" groups at 100 yards, but that is with a red dot sight & no magnification. In other words, I'm relying on my eyesight to center the dot on a bullseye that I can barely make out from that distance. I should point out that it is holding a good pattern even after warming up after multiple rounds fired - no stringing. I do have a Mo-Rod on it, so that is helping to dissipate heat rapidly. Having fired many Mini-14's, I have to say that Ruger's barrel improvements and gas system changes appear to have really improved this rifle.

Crosshair

With the right ammo and optics, a bit under 2 MOA is doable with most specimens. Sometimes you can only get a little over 2 MOA. An Accu-strut on the newer ones doesn't shrink loads as much as they did on the older ones, but they do tend to decrease load sensitivity. Meaning more loads will shoot well.

With plinker ammo it of course won't be as accurate, but the same can be said about plinker ammo in an AR.

With a red-dot, 3-4 MOA sounds about right KMO. What size is the dot on your scope? I like to have scopes with a small dot, like a 3 MOA. You probably have a larger dot, like the more standard 5 MOA. Meaning your rifle is probably more accurate than your scope even allows.

KMO

You probably have a larger dot, like the more standard 5 MOA. Meaning your rifle is probably more accurate than your scope even allows.

Yes, you're right, Crosshair. For the 5" stick-on targets we were using, my dot covered the whole target. I do like the red dot sights (50+ year-old eyeballs) because they provide a steady target, but they aren't the best for precision sight-ins.

zombieslayer

Mine is plenty accurate with the iron sights. Gonna try out the factory rings and an affordable scope soon. I get 3-4" groups at 100 with the factory sights on a good day, my vision is not what it used to be

rickyrick

Mine is pretty good to 100yds have'nt tried past that distance.

If you add a scope you can't go too big on the front bell...also, I had to go all the way back so the rear bell would clear the iron sight but the relief worked out perfect anyway.