New militiaman: Got my CMP Garand...

Destructo6

It finally arrived today. A Winchester Repeating Arms M1 Garand, made sometime in 1944, according to my literature. The stock has some pretty major dings and gouges, but the metal looks like it was arsenal refinished and stored immediately thereafter. It is the CMP's "Service" grade. I was on the list for a "Select" grade, but adjusted down to service when I found that the wait might be measured in years instead of weeks.

Just finished cleaning it and marveled at the complexity and simplicity at the same time. Very cool.

Congratulations on your new rifle. May it give you years of shooting pleasure.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

RickC

I just got my Beretta M1 yesterday. The metal was VG, the stock not so good. I put a RamLine synthetic on it. Looks really nice, but the band on the rear handguard was a loose fit and required some work to make it right.

Has anyone else tried this stock? I'm curious how it might affect accuracy. It changes the entire balance and feel of the Garand.

Hard Ball

There are few better rifles than a good M1 Garand, They shoot when other rifles quit and will deliver excekkent accuracy with good ammunition, Just keo the bolt lugs lightly lubricated eith Lubriplate or LSA and enjoy.

chmeyers

Congratulation. I received a complete HRA about a year ago in 98% condition. Refinished the stock and it looks amazing! Shoots 1-2" groups at 50 yards with iron sights too! Needless to say, it's a winner.

James K

Member In Memoriam
By law, you were a member of the militia before you got the M1, and whether you even owned a gun.

Jim

Destructo6

Yeah, I know, but I still find it somewhat humerous that the Fed govt wants to disarm me, but will still sell me a rifle. It's as though they're acknowledging we are the militia while denying it.

James K

Member In Memoriam
There are many people, in and out of government, who want to end the CMP entirely. The cry is, "Why is the government selling deadly weapons to terrorists and criminals?" We know that is nonsense but, as with sales of used police handguns, emotion will always triumph over logic.

Jim

Destructo6

Here's a question: One of the two CMP Garands (my father's) has an op-rod that is uncut at the crook. Is this as truly dangerous as I've been led to believe?