New Miha 45 mold, #3!

snuffy

Just received the newest addition to the MP molds line-up. Well for me anyway.

200 SWC .452 4 cavity.

8-25-11%20004.jpg

8-25-11%20005.jpg

Got 'er clean, heated up some range lead, viola!

8-25-11%20010.jpg

Casts beautiful bullets, they fall free without fuss. Oh BTW, they're copies of the H&G #68.

Stick_man

Very nice, Snuffy. Miha does great work. Those are some sweet looking bullets you've got there. What alloy are you using and what weight do they drop at?

snuffy

What alloy are you using and what weight do they drop at?

I forgot to mention the lead. That's "range lead". I reclaimed spent bullets at my gun club, the bullet trap hadn't been cleaned for 20 years. It runs about 12-14, I need to add a bit of tin to the pot those came from.

They dropped at 198.4 pretty consistently and measured .454. Sized in a RCBS .452 sizer brought them down to .4525, should be perfect for my .451 bore. I'll do a hardness test just for the added info tomorrow.

snuffy

Finally got out to try out the new boolits.

scan0001.tif.jpg

scan0002.tif.jpg

Load is 5.0 ww-231 and 5.5 231. Standard ww WLP. But I did try 2 different case makes. R-P AND WIN. Surprised to see the win cases win hands down. I though the thicker win cases might squeeze down the boolits that ended up @ .4525. I did NOT pull a boolit after seating in the 2.

Now the decision will be which to load. I may try a bit below and above the 5.5 load to see if I'm on the edge of greatness! This is about the best this SA 1911 has done. Shells fed just fine. Must be the nose config of the H&G-68!

Rats! I forgot to say those were shot at 25 yards.

TXGunNut

Nice shooting!
5.5 WW 231 is my standard load for that boolit configuration, shoots as well as my old Colt will shoot. Cycles the slide, groups nice, mild recoil. Normally don't sort pistol brass but when I do I prefer WW in .38 and .45.