• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

New members bumping old threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Miranda

First of all, let me say that I have no ill will toward new members. When you stop growing, you start dying, right?

But I have noticed that most of the very-old-thread-bumpers tend to be the new members. And it happens often on their very first post. Maybe they found that thread in a search or something, I don't know.

Perhaps new members could be prevented from bumping old threads until they meet a minimum post count? This would give them time to learn the ropes, and hopefully they will realize that a 7-year old thread most likely need not be bumped....

Just a thought.

HeroHog

The first thing the "Old Salts" jump on the "Newbies" for is not using the search function. I would also be willing to bet that them doing just that is how those old threads get opened. If we don't want a thread revisited, lock it!

Wagonman

I am of the mind that I don't mind an old thread being bumped if an interesting point is made or a lucid question asked.

Evan Thomas

There's already a message that comes up pointing out that it's an old thread and asking if the person really wants to bump it:
Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than XXX days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you feel it is absolutely necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

[check]I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.
Not sure what the minimum elapsed time is to trigger this, but if that doesn't do it... :rolleyes:

Actually, I think new members should be prevented from posting at all until they reach some minimum post count.

Oh, no, wait... there's something wrong with that. :D

Rich Miranda

I am of the mind that I don't mind an old thread being bumped if an interesting point is made or a lucid question asked.

Me either, but I notice that it's usually something just very slightly related like maybe someone asked for advice on the S&W 629, for example, and three years later the new guy comes in and posts: "I just picked up a used one at a great price. I couldn't be happier!" :)

As frustrating it is, (especially with the blatant warning that the thread is old) there's not really anything we've come up with to prevent it effectively. Sure, we could ban the member. But what good will this do? We can only deal with it on a case by case basis for the time being.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I like it when a new person replies to an eleven year old thread wherein the OP was asking for advice in buying a firearm... Well ya reckon the feller is still trying to make up his mind 11 years later:rolleyes::D
Brent

Charger Fan

Isn't that what newbies are for?:D

Seriously though, this is a web-wide thing to do on forums. It doesn't matter what sort of forum I'm on, there's always some newbie who will dig out & bump some of the most old, stale posts on the forum.
I guess I'd like to think it's nice that they are reading the forum topics that deep into the site, because I can't think of any other answer as to why they find such old posts to reply to.

Anyway, sometimes some interesting ones do get bumped & the thread will take off for another half dozen pages or so. Not so bad, in that regard.

grymster2007

I dunno. Do we really need threads more than a year old? Maybe make them read only. If somethings all that important, Mr. Noob can start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.