New M45 Colt

Model12Win

It's technically designated the M45A1, the M45 was the older MEU(SOC) pistol.

From what I hear, they are excellent. They have a new double recoil spring system that reduces recoil and increases frame life.

The new Colt Rail Guns have the same system.

agtman

You mean this "Marine pistol"?

Officially, it's Colt's M45A1 model. The one above is the so-called "blue box" production-line model.

The model the Marines get, or got, looks the same, except it first goes through Colt's Custom Shop for fine-tuning, trigger work, etc. (after which the CS techs stamp "C.S." on the frame under the grips), and it ships out with three mags in a lockable Pelican case.

Mine' a great shooter, and it makes a great nightstand piece. 8+1 capacity, tritium nights, and the FDE Inforce APL I attached on the rail.

Unfortunately, no Marine I know, current or former, owns one. They all seem to prefer a cute wuddle Glock 19 for personal use. Apparently, they haven't been able to ween themselves off the 9-minimeter addiction due to long use of the M9 Beretta.

Last edited:

BarryLee

The gun has two things that I generally don’t like – a rail on a 1911 and dirt colored paint job. However, for some reason I am uncontrollably attracted to this thing.

halfcocked

I got one for my birthday a couple weeks ago but haven't had a chance to give it a whirl yet. To the plus side, it has nite sites, the new ones after about s/n 11,000 have the ion bond finish and it has cool factor.

Gripes would be that I still didn't get used to the grips yet. I would like them darker, so will probably change them out at some point (just personal taste), the cerakote finish ones are known to scratch, chip and flake off easy, and it overall has a "looser" fit than my other Colts (trigger rattles, grip safety rattles, a little more slide play but barrel locks up tight). However the fit, as I understand, the marines required all parts to interchange without fitting, so they can be maintained quicker and easier.

Actually though, the "blue box" production models, like I have, are the same as the Marines get. The issue ones aren't hand fit by the custom shop - the CS ones are known as the "civilian model" and cost a few hundred $ more.

agtman

agtman, do you find the extra weight from the beefed up frame and rigidity make this a better, more stable shooter?

Yes, and the double recoil-spring system helps. Smoother shooting too, as my 1911s go (and I own over half a dozen).

agtman

lamarw unburdened hisself with: The Marine version in the picture above is hideous. Just my personal opinion.

Not a problem ... I've spoken to more than one Jarhead who'd have preferred an O.D. finish on this pistol to Colt's version of "FDE."

1969Colt1911

I like the finish ok looks tough, but every rail gun in magazines, online, gunshops, is bare. What do I use the rail for to hang and clean it? I understand theres lights or lazer lights, can optic sights be put on the rail?

agtman

I like the finish ok looks tough, but every rail gun in magazines, online, gunshops, is bare. What do I use the rail for ... to hang and clean it? I understand theres lights or lazer lights, can optic sights be put on the rail?

At least on 95% of the 1911 "rail guns" I've seen, it's always a small finger-activated light. I've seen a few with small lasers, or combo light/laser units, but not many.

On mine, I mounted the Inforce APL - in FDE, of course. ;)

Skans

Big cheese-grater rails on pistols will date them and make them look "vintage" a few years from now. It will be like the built-in carry handle that used to be on AR15 A1 and A2 upper receivers. You can't give those upper-receivers away today (exception, the original ones w/o forward assist).

Personally, I steer clear of pistols with the under-mount rail. I prefer the classic look. I'm sure they can be useful in some cases, just not for me.

Uncle Malice

It looks nice, but I don't see where the money is going given its ridiculous price point. Get a TRP and have it cerakoted if that's what you want.

You can pretty much get a Wilson Combat for what these things are going for.

Then again, I'm not a big 1911 fanboy, so maybe I'm missing something. Just seems like there are better options for money.

RickB

I'd get the plain(er) Rail Gun and modify it to suit me, since my needs/wants are different from those of the Marines (could never understand the draw of an expensive custom pistol built to someone else's specs?).