New M1As

zxc

Im looking at getting an M1A and like to know your experiences with NIB versions as they come from the factory. Pretty good or minor probs. I understand theirs is an excellent warranty, still Id like mine good to go. Thanks.

ScottsGT

I'm assuming you are refering to Springfield? Go with the model #9222. That is their "fully loaded" rifle. Has a better trigger, a few NM parts, etc.. When I bought mine I compaired the fully loaded vs. the bottom of the line. Trigger felt a little rough and heavy compaired to the NM set up.
I have NEVER heard of anyone having any problems with an M1A out of the box on any forum. Not that it couldn't happen, but I have never read about problems with a new M1A.
Local gunshop wanted $1750 for the 9222, Keislers Wholesale had them for $1200 at one time. It's been a year now since I bought mine, so I haven't been pricing them lately.

Sactown

I bought my M1A Loaded new and have had no problems at all. I purchased mine with the fiberglass stock, but would get wood if I was to do it again. The wood stock looks so much nicer to me. Here in Kali, I bought mine a few years ago for around $1400. Stock up on the 20rnd mags. www.coledistributing.com has M14 mags pretty cheap.

30Cal

Most of the rifles coming down the pipes have been good ones, though I've seen several reports of problems with things like short stroking, and extractors not staying put. Stainless steel barrels seem to be a bit rougher (and "stickier") these days and sometimes take a some polishing of the chamber to get the rifle to function reliably. Chances are, you'll get a good one... if not, send it back.

What type of shooting are you planning on doing? If you want to shoot matches, get either a NM/supermatch rifle or get a standard and have an armorer rebuild it to NM spec. There's plenty of armorers who can build you a NM rifle for cheaper and better than you can get directly from SA Inc. If you get the loaded and upgrade it to NM, you'll spend more money in the long run.

If plinking or whatnot is more your style, then look at the standard or loaded models. Loaded may or may not be a little more accurate than the standard--without the gunsmithing, you won't see most of the benefits of the match barrel. Keep in mind that the chrome lined USGI barrel on the standard will shoot well to 10,000+ rounds. The match barrel may shoot better initially, but will start to degrade at 4,000-5,000 rounds (although you will get more mileage out of it unless you're a Master category shooter).

Either way, I would encourage you to get a match trigger--either out of the box, or send it out to have an armorer tune it for $40. It'll be the best money you'll spend on the rifle.

Ty

30Cal

One more thing...
Before you purchase, pick up a copy of Duff's "M14 Owners Guide". It is a great reference on the various M14 type rifles available out there, plus has info on ammo, parts, maintenance, cleaning, match conditioning and other very useful stuff that will help you get the most bang for your buck.

Ty

zxc

Thanks, the replies positive and encouraging. Purchasing the rifle to fulfill a childhood wager; will read the book.

Jimmy Mac

In my opinion the loaded is not worth the extra money over the standard. In fact I would still buy the standard over the loaded if they were the same price for my use.

The walnut wood is very nice but it is the cause of most of the few problems known with the M-14 rifle.

The fiberglass USGI stock from Fred at $25 is the way to go. Paint it any way you like.

Sactown

I think he means Fred's Military M14 Rifle Stocks. www.fredsm14stocks.com he sells all kinds of m14 stocks in all conditions. I was looking at a new stock, but then the .357 purchase came up and then the M38 and then...well, you know how it goes.

HKguy9

The fit and finish kinda suck for being $1000++ but they do their job.

Watch that front sight, they been coming out with 'National Match' frontsights lately which make you have to crank up the rear more.

Jimmy Mac

For $25 plus shipping you get the stock and a free handguard.

The stock is complete with butt plate and all other hardware.

It is indestructable and not affected by changes in temprature and weather that causes a wood stock to swell and change your zero.

ScottsGT

Fred's real good to deal with. I bought a 'glass stock last year to use for hunting. Don't want to bang up my Walnut after the hand rubbed oil finish I spent many hours doing. I bought the cheapest 'glass he had for something like $15. He even threw in a couple of handguards at no charge.