New M1A Scout + pics. Tips? Suggestions?

Tucker 1371

P270910_2340.jpg

P270910_2334.jpg

Not crazy about the looks of the stainless CMI mag, I'm getting a regular parkerized/matte/whatever one in the future. Proably a CMI but I may go out on a limb and try a T57. Who makes the best 5 round mag? I've heard they can be a pain to pry out but I want to hunt with this rifle this season, hog and deer.

What all should I be looking to add to this rifle in the future (other than oodles of mags and ammo)? I have 1k rounds Herter's which I know leaves gunk in the chamber but I wanted to shoot a lot and it was the best deal out there (plus I had $20 of Cabela's bucks :D). What is some good 150gr hunting ammo?

I've been looking at the Vortex SPARC red dot for hunting and plinking, it's gotten pretty much nothing but good reviews and claims to be tested good with .375 H&H for 1000 rounds. Not sure about that claim though and most of the reviewers were using it on ARs and AKs. Anyone have experience with it on a .308 or larger?

Are muzzle brakes a good idea? I was looking at this one: http://ustacticalsupply.com/m14uscoastguardmuzzlebrake.aspx
The range I use is usually deserted except for the day after Christmas and New Year's so I'm not too worried about bugging people.

azredhawk44

I wouldn't trust anyone to put together a 150gr hunting load with:

1 - A bullet that is suitable for hog
2 - powder that is of a suitable burn rate for an M14 gas system.

I've shot Federal's Power-Shok 150gr loading from my Springer M1A Scout as well as my current custom M14 with no issues, but it's a very lightly constructed bullet that will more than likely fall apart on a tough animal like a hog.

I'd suggest hand-loading.

Frankly, the M14 achieves best accuracy with the 165gr boat-tail hunting loads and the 168gr match BTHP bullets, though the 168's are not suitable for hunting.

Build up a load using a premium 165gr bullet such as a Nosler partition or Hornady InterLock, and one of the following powders:
-IMR 4895
-H4895
-AA 2520 *my favorite
-H335
-Varget
-Reloder 15

That being said, the 150gr Federal Power-Shok is accurate enough. It will take a deer as far as you can see one and put the front sight on it with confidence. That light bullet construction won't matter with a deer.

Tucker 1371

That light bullet construction won't matter with a deer.

Especially not the mostly puny deer we have here in the Southeast. I had a friend who went down to FL and killed a small hog with 3 rapid tight knit shots from a 20" AR with 62gr. I think he got him behind the ear. Not sure if the first shot did the trick or not but it made me think almost anything over 120gr and going at least 2400fps would do job. Then again there's a reason I'm asking on here.

I wanted to keep my hunting and plinking ammo as ballistically similar as possible (if that's possible) just to cut down on money and time spent sighting in so that's why I ask.

Unfortunately I don't reload at the moment. Just can't overcome the startup cost yet. One of these days though

Last edited:

Jimro

If you don't reload, try a couple different loads to see what is most accurate in your rifle.

Remington Corelokts are usually a good place to start, they will fall apart in a hog, but pretty much any soft pointed non-bonded bullet will fall apart in a hog.

Jimro

Tucker 1371

New territory for me, never been in much of a discussion about hunting ammo so I'm all ears.

I'll try the CoreLokts, what about 150gr Hornady Superformance SST? A little Google snooping shows some promise for use on hogs but I don't know how well it would cycle an M1A.

Also, anyone have any experience with the red dot I mentioned in my OP?

Mags? Especially 5 rounders.

srkavanagh6621

I bought some 5 round mags of brownells that were CMI I also purchased some 20 rounders all of which function flawless. The five rounder are a little sticky to get out but not bad!

Jo6pak

Congrats on the new Scout:cool: I've had one for a few years and love it.
I've added quite a few mods to mine
Vltor Modstock, Trijicon 3-9x Accupoint on a Springfield mount. I also added a short lower picatinny so I could mount a bipod. (which i really only use on the range.)
HCBKJ-IMG_0515.JPG

I have (2) 5-round mags, neither has any manufacturers markings on them. One woks fine, but the other is troublesome. So I'm not much help there.

I Shoot alot of different ammo. (South African, British, Herter's, and Silver Bear) Mostly 150 gr FMJ. It runs these all perfectly, averaging 2-3 MOA. I've also fired som commercial ammo which is a bit more consistant, but for the most part it is fed cheap stuff.

The SPARC gets rave reviews, but I've never checked one out. Not much help there either.

waterboy68

Went on a hog hunt a few months ago. All our guide used was Federal powershok ammo (150gr .308) I don't think the 10 dead hogs we shot knew who the manufacturer of the ammo was. It worked fine and these hogs were all in the 250-300lb range. This was also using semi-auto rifles. (BAR & R-25) Local wal-mart is selling the federal ammo for $13.67 a box. Hard to pass up, plus I can use the brass.
Just my 2-cents ;)

alloy

Just can't overcome the startup cost yet.

If there was ever a rifle that would help/force you to overcome the startup costs....you sure found it.:)

Winchester does offer the 168 grain supreme silvertip hunting ammo. I have a few boxes, works well, but it's too pricey for practice. At least the POI is the same as my practice rounds, if you are going to target shoot with the traditional type M14 match loads.

150s and 168s give me about a 6 inch diff at 100 yards so I just stick to the 168 for everything.

Tucker 1371

alloy If there was ever a rifle that would help/force you to overcome the startup costs....you sure found it.

Probably a good thing, I'm hoping to get started sometime this year.

waterboy68 Went on a hog hunt a few months ago. All our guide used was Federal powershok ammo (150gr .308) I don't think the 10 dead hogs we shot knew who the manufacturer of the ammo was. It worked fine and these hogs were all in the 250-300lb range.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I think I'll check Wal Mart for the Federal and I might give the Superformance a try.

SR420

Who makes the best 5 round mag?

What is some good 150gr hunting ammo?

I've been looking at the Vortex SPARC red dot for hunting and plinking,

Are muzzle brakes a good idea?

C.M.I. from 44MAG.com

I don't hunt, but 155 & 168 grain Hornady TAP is excellent ammo

Consider an Aimpoint red dot

The M14 US Coast Guard / Navy Muzzle Brake from SEI is outstanding

waterboy68

GSU:
My knowledge of hog hunting is very limited, but the guide that took us out mentioned that in the past he was using boned bullets and he was having too many of them pass through the pigs. This resulted in a lot of them getting into the woods and not being found. The federal ammo seemed to drop them in their tracks as long as the shot placement was good. I suspect that ammo cost was also a factor for him. I can see where three guys with semi auto's could blow through some ammo on a good night going from farm to farm.:D

Sorry I know thats off topic.

Tucker 1371

Consider an Aimpoint red dot

The M14 US Coast Guard / Navy Muzzle Brake from SEI is outstanding

Maybe in about 2 years on the Aimpoint, provided I hold off on other firearms purchases and maybe cut back on ammo purchases. I wanted to try the Vortex because it's got a lot of reviews and it's hard to find a bad one on it. Worst case I can always stick it on my AK if it can't stand up to the M1A's recoil.

And that's the comp I was considering. Still not sure if I really want it.