New M1911 mag problem?

Mike38

I bought a new M1911 magazine at a gun show this morning. By the wrapper and the numbers on the floor plate, it looks to be military.

It is hard to insert in my pistol and will not drop free like my Metal Form mags. I measured the new military one and it’s .005 wider then the Metal Form mags. Is .005 enough to make a mag stick like this, or is there something I’m overlooking? Is there a fix, or take it back?

The pistol is a Colt, so I would think any military mag would work?

overkill0084

Just my observation, but many of the aggressively priced mags at gun shows are rubbish. Parkerized like finish? Even packaged in a way that looks legit?
Some of the cheap knock-offs even have Colt markings. Doesn't mean they're any good though.
If there is someone you can take it back to, try it. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Cheap magazines are a false savings.

Coltman 77

Overkill pretty much nailed it with an insightful post. :)

I've found it's much more cost effective in the long run to use quality magazines in all my pistols. In my experience they truly are worth a bit more money.

drail

Just about anytime you see "mil spec" or "mil surplus" magazines they're fake, no matter what is stamped on the base. There's been a big market in copies of U.S. stuff for years. All of the original ones were used up before most of us were born. Buy McCormick, Tripp, or Wilson if you're wealthy.

Lurch37

If you want to try and figure out why it's hanging up/hard to insert, remove the slide/barrel from your gun and see what's catching. It could be your trigger bow, magazine release, or slide stop. Sounds to me like your mil-spec mag is too "fat" somewhere in the body or feed lip area.

model18

Wilson is my # 1 choice in my Colts. All that "mil spec" surplus is knock off crap no matter how little they cost. The mag is the "heart" of any auto pistol. Don't cheap out, cause you get what you pay for!