New M19 and 180 grn bullets

Elerius

I just picked up, finally, my first P&R Model 19-2, circa 1966. I want to shoot it when I go to the range next, and I have a box of magnums that someone gave to me a few years ago. Its an older with 2002 written on it. Winchester Supreme Partition Gold, 180 grain bullets supposedly for hunting.

I started a thread some time ago about my interest in forcing cone cracking, to conclude mainly that 125 grain bullets were to blame for most of those issues and that the standard 158 grain would be fine, and what it was built for. But what about these 180's? Are they safe to shoot through this without damaging it? I have 18 rounds of it, and just want to run them all through to get a chance to fire it without having to buy a box of ammo.

RIDE-RED 350r

Just my personal opinion, but I would not fire a steady diet of stout 180gr mags out of my 19-3. I kind of equate that with feeding a -2 or earlier m29 with a steady diet of full house 300 grainers. Silhouette shooters back in the day were doing just that and was the main reason S&W beefed up the lockwork on the m29-3. Rounds like that are just harder on the revolver in general. I'm not saying your going to blow your 19 up shooting a few of them now and then, and since you only have 18 of them, I wouldn't worry too much about sending them downrange. I would just avoid those type of loads in high volume. You have a fine classic K-frame, doesn't hurt to baby it a little. ;)

For my 4" 19-3, I run 140 and 158gr bullets loaded pretty stout. If I run lighter than 140gr, they are 38spl. Never ran 180's out of my 19.

As I stated in the beginning, this is just my personal opinion and how I would treat my m19, others will probably disagree, and that's fine. That is why I stress that it is just an opinion. There is a long running debate on whether the K-frame is suitable for long term heavy magnum pounding.. Some say no problem, others say not the best for it.

And yes, you should be fine to send those 18 rounds to try her out. Have fun! :)

44 AMP

Staff
Remember that the model 19 was designed in a time when there was no 180gr factory ammo. And most of the folks using the 173gr cast preferred heavier guns.

A few rounds of just about anything won't destroy your 19. Hundreds of round or more, of the wrong stuff might cause damage. As nice as they are, they aren't in the same class as bigger, heavier guns.

joed

Looks like others beat me to the message. The m19 was designed as a .38 Spl that can occasionally shoot .357 ammo. When shooting .357 ammo stay away from 125 gr and 180 gr.

As others said the gun was designed when the largest bullet in .357 was a 158 gr. Shooting heavier will shorten its lifespan.

RIDE-RED 350r

A model 27 or 28 on the other hand.... ;)

I have a 28-2 and I don't think I could kill it with ANY 357 load used regularly in my lifetime... Talk about a beefy bruiser of a 357! :D

Elerius

Hmm... I think I'll just leave the ammo for burning when I get another .357 then. No reason to stress the 19 unduly. Thanks

cw308

Had a S&W Mod 13 for work, same frame as the 19 only 3" heavy barrel. loaded with 158 gr. lead 38 spl. The revolver is not designed for a steady diet of 357's I wouldn't shoot the 180's, the 19 is a nice revolver, you don't need timing or endshake problems. shoot 38 spl's in it and enjoy shooting. 357 mag. is not fun or accurate in a 2 1/2" brl.

joed

You were told right about the 180 gr bullets. The model 19 and 66 (old style) were designed for Law Enforcement to cut down on the weight they carry. That said, they were meant as a gun that can carry .357 for duty but train with .38 Spl. These guns were produced when the 158 gr bullet was widely used.

What causes the most harm is the 125 gr mag loads. They beat the forcing cone of the barrel at the 6 o'clock position eventually causing it to crack.

They are great guns and my favorite S&W revolvers. Treat it right and it will outlast you.

Bob Wright

4 AMP said:

Remember that the model 19 was designed in a time when there was no 180gr factory ammo. And most of the folks using the 173gr cast preferred heavier guns.

Odd thing about that is that heavier N-Framed Smiths could not accomodate the 173 gr. SWC when crimped in the crimping groove, when in .357 cases. The cylinder was too short, same as with the Python. Only the Ruger Blackhawk and K-Framed Smiths would take that load.

Bob Wright