New M&P Shield 45 problem

chrisp51

Picked up a 45 shield this past weekend and took it to the range today. I only took some handloads and it was problem city. The handloads were 200 gr semi wad cutter on 4 grains of bullseye. The empty cases would not eject after being fired. The reason i took the handloads was because they worked very well in my colt. The recoil spring is very heavy so hopefully when i shoot some full power loads it will loosen up. I really like the semi wad cutter loads but may have to do something different for the Shield. Anyone else had this problem?

mikejonestkd

Bump up the powder charge to something closer to factory spec and the problem will go away.

I run full power ammo though most brand new guns, especially semi autos to make sure they function perfectly before I start to play with reduced loads.

bedbugbilly

+1^

Your hand loads are not strong enough to cycle the Shield properly.

No two handguns are alike. All I shoot are my handholds and my cast. As an example - I had a Ruger SR9 (9mm). I load a 122 gr led slug in all of my 0mm r loads. My Ruger SR9 shot great and cycled perfectly with my lead slug over 3.5 gr of Bulls Eye. Then I got a 0mm Shield. Using the 3.5 gr BE reloads, the Shield wouldn't cycle properly - doing pretty much what you are talking about. Bumping the powder weight up to 3.7 gr of BE, the Shield cycled and operated flawlessly and still does.

The recoil spring on the Shield is pretty stiff. Try loading some sample loads and increase maybe by .02 gr. of powder (staying under max load) and try them in your Shield. You'll find the "sweet spot" to where the pistol runs without problems.

CDR_Glock

I reload 45 ACP in 200 grains. But I use FMJ. I make a batch of different loads to test for reliability. As I test my 1911s, I also bring various recoil springs of different weights, too, to determine which would cycle more reliably.

I did the same when I was testing for accuracy with the S&W 627 PC 5" revolver while trying to find a load that reliably cycled my Coonan 357 Magnum 1911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

m&p45acp10+1

I have the full sized M&P it takes a minimum charge or 4.2 grains Bull's Eye to get it to cycle. All it has fired for the past 5 years is home cast 200 grain SWC with Bull's Eye.