New Leather Holster Conditioning?

logansdad

I just got my first "real" holster - leather, instead of nylon. I have holstered and drawn my pistol a couple of times and noticed a few small leather shavings being removed from the inside of the holster. The holster came from a nationally known holster maker.

Is this normal? If so, will it eventually stop? Should I "condition" the inside of the holster? If so, with what?

Thanks for your insight.

logansdad, I don't think conditioning your holster will help the problem. From what you describe, your holster is suffering dandruff because there are one or more sharp edges on your gun that are cutting into the leather, maybe just skimming off a little at a time. Unlike nylon, leather seems to be more affected by sharp edges. Just curious, what type of gun do you have and has it been dehorned? For example, most Colt, Springfield, etc. 45 ACPs are not dehorned and can do a lot of damage to your holster. I have a Colt XS that I have mostly dehorned, but the cocking serrations still like to shave of just a bit each time. Eventually, the gun will shave off enough that it won't catch anymore and your problem will largely go away, but your holster may suffer for this.

As far as conditioning, it may not be necessary on most holsters and I don't think it will help with the holster dandruff. However, I like to treat the exterior surfaces with mink oil to help keep them in shape and prevent water and sweat damage.

joebogey

logansdad,
I don't think most holster makers would recommend that you use any type of oil or liquid solvent on a molded holster as it can cause the holster to lose it's boning or shape. I do know that Horseshoe Leather recommends that you use only a paste such as shoe polish in the appropriate color to protect your holster.

logansdad

Thanks for the replies. The gun is a compact Witness in 10mm. Running my hand over the areas that contact the holster the most, I can't locate any seriously sharp edges. The holster is dark black on the outside, but the leather inside the holster is unfinished. My main concern is that the leather will dry and become brittle (maybe not the best choice of wrods for what will actually happen). I was thinking of some type of leather conditioner for coats/boots/etc.

joebogey

I think you will find that a little powdered graphite sprinkled into the holster might help alleviate some but not all of the problem.It will help in the smoothness of draw and cut down on the drag of the weapon in the holster, but I think part of your problem will work itself out once the holster has had a decent breakin period.

geegee

Try Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather. They should have what you're looking for-it's called Leather Lightning. Vall 603-647-2971. I think the website is just mitchrosen.com, but I'm not certain. Best regards, geegee.

Jim V

Leather Lightning........

is good stuff but I've had a bottle on back order for a long time now.

Do not use oils of anytype on holsters or magazine pouches. The oils 1: soften the leather and 2: hold grit that will soon mar the finish of your pistol. All the exterior of a good holster needs is an occasional coat of good boot wax, not liquid shoe polish.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
A substitue source for leather lightening is www.holster-connection.com. They are one of Rosen's biggest dealers (if not the biggest). If you order leather lightening from Mitch, you could wait awhile. Price is the same from First American Ordnance (holster-connection.com)