New Kimber 1911 Range Day

CarJunkieLS1

Today I got some range time and I took the opportunity to shoot my recently acquired brand new Kimber Stainless ii 5" barrel. It's completely stock just like it came out of the box. I did a field strip and cleaning prior to shooting.

I shot at 10 yards at a standard 6" round bullseye target. I am definitely no expert pistol shooter, I shot 50 rounds of 230 FMJ made by Blazer Brass. 100% reliable function no jams or misfeeds of any kind. I couldn't be happier.

I did however notice my shots were consistently 2 inches high and 2-3 inches right. I'm a left handed shooter, I had both eyes open. If I aimed low and left I'd hit the bullseye. It was consistent high right the pistol groups well and is accurate, but y'all think it's my technique or are the sights off? I need advice because I'm a rifle shooter mostly so this pistol is kinda new territory for me.

HighValleyRanch

Is it a target model with adjustable sights or combat model with fixed sights. Some target pistols are meant for a 6 o:clock hold, and most combat pistols with a three dot sight are meant for dot on center of bull hold.
High usually means "heeling" in anticipation of the shot going off, or clenching at the moment of break.

Were the sights perfectly aligned at the moment of the shot going off. Eyes kept open or blinked?

You could have someone experienced or expert shoot the pistol and see if it has the same point of impact as you did. Most expert class shooters can shoot a pistol a few times and know if the sights are off from their experience.

CarJunkieLS1

It is the regular model with non adjustable rear sight. I do believe the front sight can be drifted one way or the other if need be. I'm no expert pistol shooter so it's all possible it's my technique causing it, my technique was at least consistent though. I've got a friend that is a better pistol shooter than me so I'll let him shoot it and see.

dahermit

I'm a left handed shooter, I had both eyes open. If I aimed low and left I'd hit the bullseye. It was consistent high right the pistol groups well and is accurate, but y'all think it's my technique or are the sights off?
Not enough information. Were you shooting with both hands on the gun?

jmhyer

Next trip, in addition to bringing another shooter to try it, also plan to bring something on which to rest the pistol while you shoot.

JDBerg

CarJunkieLS1: said:
I do believe the front sight can be drifted one way or the other if need be.

I don’t think so; just keep practicing with good quality factory ammo and hopefully your shots will start impacting right on top of that front sight.

larryf1952

I'd be extremely hesitant to start drifting sights until I knew for absolute certain that it was necessary. Kimber sights are almost impossible to move without the proper tools and technique. I've got 2 Kimbers of this type, an older "Series I" Classic Stainless and a newer Custom II 2 tone, and each one was spot on to POA out of the box.

If you know someone who is a consistently good shooter, I'd ask them to try the gun.

You might also try shooting with an eye closed. I've been shooting for 46 years, and I've never been able to master the 2 eye open method. I'm right handed/left eye dominant, and I can't see jack when I try to shoot with both eyes open. My left eye overpowers the right and I end up having to bend my head over into an unnatural position to get a proper sight picture.

CarJunkieLS1

I talked to a guy at work, who I found out was a former NRA pistol instructor, and he said without seeing me shoot, his money is on its me and not the sights. I haven't touched the sights and don't plan to anytime soon at least until multiple shooters confirm the sights are off, and I just can't say they are currently.

The sights appear perfectly straight and in the "middle" so they appear perfect to me. I'm 99% sure I need to work on my technique some more.

dgludwig

also plan to bring something on which to rest the pistol while you shoot.

Absolutely. In order to determine if the sights on the gun are aligned correctly (just because they seem to be "perfectly straight and in the 'middle' " doesn't necessarily mean that they are) and whether the point of aim corresponds with the point of impact is a matter of where the gun shoots as opposed to where the user shoots (assuming there's a difference), initially you need to know where the gun is shooting. This is best done by isolating the shooter's input as much as possible and shooting from a rest is a necessary technique to accomplish this goal.

rock185

What dgludwig said. There is no reason to believe fixed or adjustable sights as they come from the factory will shoot to any specific shooter's preferred POA/POI, with whatever ammunition, at whatever distance. The manufacturer installs fixed sights that they figure are in the ball park for the average shooter, whatever that is. Whether fixed or adjustable, I rarely encounter a new gun that that shoots to my preferred POA/POI. I routinely have to adjust adjustables, drift fixed sights, and/or fit a new front sight to adjust elevation. There us just no way a manufacturer can predict any particular buyer's grip, trigger press, vision, sight picture, ammo being used, distance to target,etc,etc,etc. This doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the gun, ammo, sights, or shooter. The shooter may be able to shoot tiny little brag worthy groups, but those groups may be high, low, left, right or wherever, instead of where the shooter would like to center them...

But first thing, IMHO, is as dgludwig suggests, remove as much human error as possible by resting the gun and find out where the gun is shooting at your preferred distance, with the ammo you're using.

Bilbo463

I don’t think you’ve got enough finger on the trigger. I’m also left handed and have a handful of 1911’s. I believe you’re pushing your shots right as you press the trigger.

I sometimes push my shots right when shooting my Hi Power. For me, moving my finger to the first joint crease corrects my problem. Try it and see if it helps....

CarJunkieLS1

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll be bagging the pistol next time I shoot it. I'll definitely try more finger on the trigger I do remember i was only using the middle of my finger pad and not down on the first crease. I'll try everything you guys have suggested.

Just waiting on my next chance to get to the range.

HighValleyRanch

Just waiting on my next chance to get to the range.

90 percent dry fire and 10 percent live fire.
You should be practicing your trigger control at home with dry fire. Use a blank wall or white sheet of paper and make sure the sights stay aligned through the trigger break.

Then when you go to the range, try and pretend that you are dry firing at home, and keep the same trigger discipline watching the sight alignment through the shot break and following the recoil to make sure you don't anticipate.