New Jeff Cooper Column

Long Path

Strangely, when I attempt to access via the "Library" link at the top of TFL, I come to the "Summertime" edition, only. Mike's link brings me to "Summerset," and I can't find "Hunting Season".

Any help, Rich?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I get the Cooper Comments emailed - he seems adamant about his Scout Rifle.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Long Path

Um... no kidding, George! He puts Steyr Scouts up there with vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh sweet corn, pen and paper,and electricity! Quite a measure to fill...!

He stated in a collumn a while back that he gets no money for his part in the Scout. But I do note that there seem to be perks... Hunting trips with supplied rifles for his offspring, for instance. :)

But Steyr does use his name in some of their adds, like for their big Scout. I would, of course, expect them to recompense him for the use of his name...

Or not? I suppose it would be rude in the extreme to ask.

BigG

Thanks fer the heads-up! I've been reading Col. Jeff's commentaries since Volume 1. Good to get a fix.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As I recall, Socrates wondered about [democracy] too, but I was much younger then, and I might have misunderstood what he said.[/quote]

Man, I knew Col. Cooper was old, but I had *no* idea that he was a contemporary of Socrates. :D

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Coinneach,
Ask Art Eatman. He established the university where Socrates and Plato first studied! :D

(Oh boy! I'm gonna regret THIS one! ;) )

Long Path-
There are a couple of sites out there that archive the commentaries. Perhaps the one in our link section is not up yo date. As for the latest, "Hunting Season", it only arrived in the mail on Saturday.

All-
Regarding Cooper and the Scout, I can say that, unless Jeff Cooper lies (and this would be as out of character for him as cowardice), he does not, in fact, receive any moneys from Steyr. I'm certain he has many invites for hunting without needing to plug a product.

Cooper is quite proud of the Scout because of the enormous innovations accepted by a European armsmaker in producing it:
- Composite stock
- Fluted barrel
- 6 lb weight
- Short barrel
The list goes on.

He has publicly stated that it's not perfect. But he believes he got "80%" of what he was asking for in the design. Anytime, manufacturers listen to shooters in designing a piece, there's cause for celebration. :)
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited October 14, 1999).]

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I once saw a T-Shirt that I should have gotten..

Front -
"Jeff Cooper was right!"

Back -
"The older I get, the more I agree."

Giz

------------------
Vote Democratic! 1 Billion Chinese can't be wrong......

G-Freeman

Thanks Mike, Your link gave me the opportunity to spread the word again. I admit I spent 2 hrs reading (and rereading) last night. National Treasure comes to mind when I think of the COL.