new hunting rifle need/wanted?

rickyjames

i have given my sons a couple of my "hunting" type rifles. one got my weatherby vanguard 300 win mag, the other got my remington 7mm/08.

i am thinking of adding another rifle and i am looking for suggestions. currently i am thinking of a savage heavy barrel police/mil type in 308.
my current bolt action rifles are:
.222 winchester heavy barrel varmint model 70
.243 weatherby vanguard
7mm mag weatherby vanguard

i'm not sure i need another rifle/caliber but i am open to suggestions to #1-caliber and @2 rifle type/brand. what do you think? thanks.

JpSnareGuy

Are you going to reload for it ? 6.5 Creed or maybe a .260 Rem ? Most of the ones you have listed there are great for deer, but if you want another rifle just to have :) then the two previous would be somthing new; they both are great at extended ranges and the 6.5 projectile will buck the wind a little better then the .30 projectiles. But then again you do own a .243 which with its 6mm bullet will buck the wind very well too. The only downfall with the .243 that some people may see is the possibility of excel. throat erosion. (insert argument here) :) Alot of people do not believe this to be a problem. With the 6.5 Creed or the .260 Rem (the both are very comparable{the Creed has a better/more efficient case design}) you are getting a great all around package (my opinion). Here are a few links to take a look at if you have not already. Also somthing that I thought was neat about the .260 Rem is that you can make all the brass you need out of .308, 7mm-08 or .243 brass. You can get that stuff off the ground at the range sometimes. But just a thought. If this is not at all what you are looking for, at the least the links will be a good read. Have a great day.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=1

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2007/11/07/hornady-introduces-new-65-creedmoor-cartridge/

Last edited:

Jimro

Get another Vanguard, but get the heavy barreled SubMOA version.

No point in changing where the controls are considering the rest of your collection.

Jimro