new HP mold - can't wait to cast some rounds

Grey_Lion

https://mp-molds.com/

I finally stopped resisting the urge and picked up a 4 cavity .402-160 mold with 3 variable pin sets for 2 flavors of Hollow Points and one for solid rounds.

Sadly it's too wet a day to fire up the smelter today - but hopefully by the end of the week I'll break this mold in. :cool:

Attachments

• new MP HP mold.jpg
    new MP HP mold.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 31

USSR

Grey_Lion,

You are gonna love Miha's moulds. I've got a bunch of them and that's all I'll buy anymore.

Don

Beagle333

If it's your first MP mold, you'll avoid the problems of sticky pins if you will tighten up the alignment pins (the two that go through the block and hold each HP pin) snugly and then back it off about 1/3 turn, just so you can turn them easily with your fingers then. You want the alignment pins to have just a tiny bit of wiggle allowed. This will keep the HP pins from binding and holding the blocks open. Binding and sticking isn't good, because it can allow you to see light through them when they are closed and then you will get finning of the bullets. They won't come off if they aren't tight. They need just a little "play" in there. You also don't have to use both E clips on each HP pin. It'll make changing the pins out easier. Just one E clip on either of the alignment pins will keep it from coming through the block.

Grey_Lion

Thanks for the pointers Beagle - I already went that route w/ the E clips but hadn't thought through the stiff alignment pins - makes sense. I'll loosen up one per pin to allow some play.

Beagle333

Good deal. I leave both of mine just a little loose. I have never had one back out, and I have a lot of those molds. :eek:
(I won't say it can't happen, just that I've never had it happen)

If you have a hot plate to pre-heat it, you'll get to dropping keepers on the first or second pour.
Happy casting!!!

Last edited:

Grey_Lion

If you have a hot plate to pre-heat it, you'll get to dropping keepers on the first or second pour.

I used to do this but the hot plate is usually in use to keep a hot pot going to clean up scrap lead. I flux and clear scrap and pour muffin tin ingots.

I usually just set my mold on top of my smelter waiting for the lead to pool initially and this seems to heat it up nicely.