New here....need advice please

Retired15T

I'm looking for a good, reputable source for buying ammo online.

Another good place for handguns. They could be one in the same.:)

Also, I'm new here. Not new to weapons, but this is the first online forum for weapons I've ever registered for.

Thanks for your help.

old bear

Welcome

First and foremost welcome to the forum.

I buy most of my ammo from Ammo To Go. Their prices are as good as any, usually have a good selection, and customer service is great. I have also ordered ammo from Georgia Arms, the prices are good, the 100 rounds I have shot shot well and presented no problems for me. I do regulate it to range ammo though.

briandg

midway usa is a good shop for ammunition. Prices aren't dirt cheap, but a good dealer.

Graf and sons for ammo.

Another good dealer, prices have always been pretty good.

I give them both 5 stars.

Retired15T

Thanks a ton for the recommendations folks. Ammunitiontogo it is. Buds looks awesome and now I know I could have saved about $50 on my Springfield XD .45. Oh well. There's something to be said for supporting your local shop though.

My local indoor range/gun store has reloads for $15.50 a box of 50 for their customers to use. You just can't take their range ammo out of the store as part of the agreement. They collect all the brass, trays and boxes to help cut down on their costs. So I'll save that back pretty quickly. Extremely well done reloads they are too. First time out with my new weapon and using their range ammo, I was hitting within an area the size of a fist from 50'. I can work on that when I have the first 200 through it though.

I've not owned a Springfield handgun before now. I must say, I'm very impressed with its accuracy, heft and overall fitment and operation. I look forward to my next purchase, an XD9802SP06. That weapon will be my CCW.

Unlike most folks, at least the Army guys I'm used to hanging out with, I could care less about a handgun being all metal or not. If I can reliably put 5,000+ rounds through a weapon without needing some type of repair, then I could care less if the thing is made of Ivory soap and Popsicle sticks. I've already got a Remington Rand 1911 on loan to one of my buddies in 5th Grp while he is deployed. He said he needed a 1911 over there to shoot with while bored. He didn't want to daily fire his own XD 45 ACP all the time as he needed it to be ready to go and not needing to be cleaned up for a launch. And to be quite honest about it, I never saw what the big fuss was all about anyway. It was this buddy of mine who taught me to stop worrying about all metal weapons and just find something from a reliable manufacturer that I enjoy shooting. He gave me that advice 15 years ago and now, I'm very glad I listened to him.

zombieslayer

Welcome to TFL. You'll find lots of very helpul, knowledgeable folks here willing to help with any gun advice you could need. Always remember that when you post about anything, 15 guy might respond with posts such as "get an AR15" but lots of opinions and advice for sure! LOL!!:D

MrBorland

As far as range ammo, check out mastercast.net. They're a commercial reloader with a good reputation, and with brass exchange, their ammo is about half the cost of factory ammo.

if you don't have brass to exchange, I'd do a 1-time purchase of once-fired brass. Or just collect it at the range.

For example, oncefiredbrass.com sells mixed .38spl for $17.50 per 250 pieces. Send that in to mastercast (maybe even arrange to have it sent directly to save shipping?) in exchange for 250 rounds of 158 gr .38spl ($39.50) and your total cost is $57. Five boxes (250 rounds) of Privi Partizan at ammotogo will cost you $84.75. Save your brass for the subsequent exchanges, and you're looking at $39.50 vs $84.75.

As far as guns on-line, buds gets great reviews. So does Whitakker's. Also check out CDNN.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

If you're interested in police trade-in revolvers (k-frame SWs), J&G Sales has some terrific deals. CDNN has some good deals on used guns too. Best to call them. The really good deals don't show up in their catalogue.

http://www.jgsales.com/

Retired15T

Fantastic information folks! Thank you very much!!

You can find all sorts of stores on the net and you can even research them through reselleratings.com. But it's so much more reassuring to hear advice right from the people who shop there.:cool:

EdInk

I like to support local business too. Remember when buying a gun online you will have to pay s&h (sometimes) and FFL transfer.

The transfer fee can vary from dealer to dealer but it tends to be around $25 average. If they charge shipping it is usually another $20-$35 too.

Personally, I'll pay $25 extra to buy local and not have to wait. I like being able to feel and see the exact gun before purchase. That's not saying I won't buy online if it's significantly cheaper but even then I'll try and get a local place to try and match it.

Your ammo is rarely cheapest at the range. Try Walmart, Dick's, Bass Pro and save on shipping. They usually charge $10-$15 a box for factory new FMJ ammo.

Good choice on the XD. Welcome to the board.

pacerdude

Welcome to TFL!

I am glad you enjoy your SA XD! I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet but jgsales.com usually has fair prices on military surplus and police trade in guns. As you have already discovered Bud's also has fair prices on guns too.

Skans

I buy bulk ammo from Ammoman.com. Fast delivery. Free shipping. However, sometimes, they have a lot of stuff that's out of stock. They do have a list you can get on.

For defensive loads or one box purchases, I just buy from a local gun shop.