New Henry 357

TJB101

Wife bought a new Henry 357 carbine the other weekend. Waited about 8 months to get it in. Didn’t want to reject it and wait another 8 months for a replacement. I thought the workmanship on the finishing of this rifle was dismal. Definitely a Friday job. (Maybe even after a 3 beer lunch Friday).

Henry wasn’t that pleased and kudos to them for replacing both pieces of stock under warranty.

7150776d8c26931b0e32e542bdbf5c17.jpg

44 AMP

Staff
Without better descriptions and "before and after" pictures, it is essentially impossible to tell what you are talking about.

Which means we're in the dark about what to discuss. Your wait time? Dismal workmanship?? Is the picture the dismal workmanship, or the acceptable replacement???

TJB101

My bad. The image attached was what I felt was pretty bad finishing work for a $900 rifle. That’s the before.

Nick_C_S

Are we talking about those little discolorations?

I doubt that would be enough to prompt me to even consider returning it for repair.

I have a Henry in .357. Not sure I've ever looked at it that close.

But I know one thing: It sure shoots nice, and whenever I take it to the range, I come home happy.

stagpanther

I think he's referring to the roughness of the checkering, looks like it might have some rough flash left on it and unevenness in the peaks and valleys. These days probably most checkering is imprinted by a CNC machine would be my guess.

TJB101

I think he's referring to the roughness of the checkering, looks like it might have some rough flash left on it and unevenness in the peaks and valleys. These days probably most checkering is imprinted by a CNC machine would be my guess.

Roughness and the bad stain job. This is my 5th Henry and the 4th with a wood stock. Didn’t think it was Henry quality. They agreed.

jetinteriorguy

I was thinking along these lines too, either Tung Oil or boiled Linseed oil. I was both lucky and stupid with both of my Henry’s. They had beautiful finishes, then while at the range I had them laying on a pad next to me on the table, and was shooting one of my 9mm’s. I didn’t notice how the ejected shell cases were hitting the stocks until it was too late and had dinged them up. Unfortunately that’s not covered under warranty. Duh.