New hand & spring for pietta '51

Doc Hoy

Yes

Dixie Gun Works....

But I recommend you identify several different things you need because of the shipping. (That would be true of VTI as well.)

Fingers McGee

Taylor's

Or better yet, do a coil spring & plunger conversion. I had been putting it off till I broke 3 hand springs in three pistols at the same match. I'm going to do all of my match gun shooters now.

You having trouble getting one?

dlbarr

Well, I wouldn't say having trouble. Just wondering if there's a competitor that has what I'm looking for and if there's a diff in quality so I don't have to do this over & over.

I've read the book on the plunger device but this is a brass frame and just not sure it's worth the expense to do so on such a gun.

Fingers McGee

OK, Sometimes VTI (and Dixie and Taylors) is out of stock and waiting for a shipment seems like it takes forever. You won't find any difference in quality. Pietta parts are only made by Pietta. All the distributors get them from the same place.

As to cost on a brasser. The spring & plunger from Brownells costs less than a replacement hand & spring. You could always use a piece of a bobby pin to make a replacement spring on the existing hand. Bobby pins are thicker and probably not as prone to breaking as the production spring is. I did that to one of my Ubertis before I did the coil spring mod. It worked just fine for the couple matches I used it.

dlbarr

Well maybe I'll go see about the spring/plunger setup then. BTW, I tried the bobby pin approach and apparently I did that incorrectly cause it didn't work for me. If didn't ruin the hand, maybe I'll first go back & see if I can win round 2 with the bobby pin fix.

I should probably see if I can do that first anyway before I go drilling holes in a gun frame. :D

Hellgate

I have found the replacement hands & springs seem to hold up better than what comes with the gun. BUT! Fitting the new hand to the gun is a PITA so I try to keep the original hand and just replace the spring. Hence the recommendation I hereby make to give the bobby pin another go.

Fingers McGee

If I were to need hammer, trigger, bolt, hand.spring, main spring and trigger spring I might just spring for a parts kit. But at $40, it's a little pricey for just a broken hand spring.

My first attempt with teh bobby pin was half a$$3& at best. 2nd try worked just fine. Problem was getting the notch opened up to get the broke piece out then staked back down to hold the bobby pin tight. Needed 3 hands to do it.

dlbarr

Hawg, I dunno why this happened but the bobby pin didn't seem to have the strength to push the hand forward. I adjusted it to have some tension but it basically just collapsed. so I'll see if I can do it over...not sure about that because I peened the hand pretty good in order to make the pin fast in the notch. I did use the wide pin BTW.

g.willikers

The replacement from Dixie has worked a lot longer than the original.
Has anyone tried replacing the spring with one made from auto feeler gauge?

ZVP

They break often!

It seems the Hammer Spring is the Achillies Heel of the Single Action! I have broken both a Piettia and an Uberti and I think that these won't be my last as the stock part is fragile and appears to fail often.
I am going to try the Bobbypin trick to my Uberti and I hope to fix it for a while!
I installed a replacement in my Piettia that I got from Dixie Gunworks and it has functioned well in a Brass Framed .44.
I think part of the problem is that shock from discharge gets funneled back to the Hand.
Whatever the problem is, BP revolver shooters have long had this dilemmia and just feel lucky that we only depend on these revolvers for "FUN"!
ZVP

Tenasaw

hand/spring assy.

since we're on hand and springs, does anyone have a secret source for ASM open-top parts? The hand and spring assy. on the ASM open-top is not like 51's 61's etc...VTI and Traditionsfirearms don't carry them. I'm tired of restaking spring and afrade it may break one day and then...., Spring and plunger job appear forthcomming....Thanks..

Doc Hoy

ASM Parts are no longer available

Those folks who say that have ASM parts are either selling you something that was made recently for ASM pistols or they are just selling you anything and telling you they are for ASM.

I have had luck adapting Pietta Parts for ASM revolvers. The good news there is that Cabela's has a kit of all the internals for about 30.00.

Good idea to familiarize yourself with the Pettifogger articles before you start.

Smokin'Joe

The Ugliest Hand

IMG_0246.jpg

I bought a nice little ASM Wells Fargo model from an auction site. It needed some work on it including the hand/spring assembly.

IMG_0229.jpg

I repaired the old hand with a nail and ball point pen spring. I cut a grove in the hand, installed a nail and the modified spring and soldered it all together. The photo does not do justice as to how ugly this little guy really is. But it works great and the lightened spring gives it a quality feel.

IMG_0249.jpg

The repaired hand in place almost touches the arbor when at full cock.

Doc Hoy

Ugliest hand?

I don't know, Joe....Looks pretty functional to me.

This is a five shot revolver, huh?

I had my most major problems replacing a hand on a five shot revolver from ASM. It wound up being the ratchet on the cylinder. Not indexed properly. I got it working but just barely and almost wound up in divorce court.

Smokin'Joe

Doc, Yes this is a five shot revolver. I agree with you the five shots present more problems with timing than six shooters. But this ugly hand works great. I left it a little longer than the original so maybe that's the secret.

Doc Hoy

Joe

I went through two brand new hands on that revolver filing and grinding. Then I realized that the cylinder was wrong.

I wound up recutting the ratchet which was mis-indexed by about 25 or 30 degrees.

The pistol works but I am so scared of it I don't shoot it much.