New guy with class 3 question

Hardegg

This is my first post here, so here it goes
I am trying to get info for a friend of mine. He inherited a Hopkins & Allen "noiseless" 22LR single shot rifle. It was originally purchased from sears and roebuck around 1900 give or take a few years.
The rifle has a silencer from the factory (which is now defunk) Anyway he has no paperwork that came with the gun. My question is can this be registered now?

The discription I found for the rifle says it falls under the National Firearms Act of 1934
Any input would be welcome

MisterPX

A suppressor can be currently registered. HOwever, is said supp. permantly mounted to the rifle, or is it detachable?

Hardegg

Well I have as of yet to see the rifle first hand because he is afraid to take it out without papers. However I reseached this rifle quite a bit. It is a rare gun but what I found out is that even though it is machined very nicely and looks permanant it is threaded on. So long story short it would be removable

shaggy

It cannot now be registered. The problem is that the chain of registrations has been broken and there is no transferor to transfer it to your friend. He could register and make a new suppressor, but because he was not the manufacturer of the suppressor here, he cannot now register it as if he were the manufacturer.

His best bet would be to have the executor or administrator of the estate of the deceased contact the NFA Branch and, if necessary, make a FOIA request on behalf of the deceased to determine what (if any) NFA weapons were registered to the deceased. If the suppressor comes up, the representative of the estate can legally transfer it to the new owner on behalf of the estate.

Hardegg

That's to bad , but I will pass this on to him and sounds like you have experiance in this area.
Thank you for your advice