New Guy Needs First Handgun to Learn With

LoneStarWings

Hi,

I'm looking for my first handgun. It will be used to prepare myself for a federal-gov't defense tactics course. I'm considering the purchase of an S&W M&P .40, and would like opinions on that weapon. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory_rn=15711

The course is a opportunity associated with my job. It involves attending a 1 week defense tactics training session put on by a department of the federal government. The gun I would be issued if I were to successfully complete the training is the H&K USP40 compact. This is also what would be used during the training, but I do not obtain the firearm until my arrival. I have about 6 months to prepare.

I have no real handgun training or experience, having been a regular civilian my entire life. I feel like I need to practice and improve my marksmanship if I have any chance of completing the course successfully. I grew up around hunting rifles and shotguns, and currently just own a remington 870 & baretta extrema2 for hunting/HD. Recently a Police Officer friend of mine took me to the range and let me fire his Colt 1911-style .45 and an S&W M&P .40.

I took a liking to the S-W M&P .40, as I could get fairly accurate shots with it after a bit of coaching. I was wondering if this would be a good semi-auto for me to purchase in preperation for my course. I would also use it for home defense after it had served that purpose. I've also considered the springfiled XD line and Glock 22 based on reviews I've read online. I could also get an H&K USP40 of my own for $495.00 if I wanted.

I am leaning toward the S&W M&P because I actually have used it, it's made in the USA, .40 S&W seems like a good round, it seem to get good reviews from what I've read, and I think it looks good. Plus I'd like some variety if I'm going to get issued the H&K, it seems redundant to have two of the exact same weapon.

Opinions, thoughts, comments? Thanks in advance.

PS: I apologize if anyone reads this elsewhere as I did post it in one other forum. I posted it in the Semi-Auto forum, where it'd be more appropriate. Feel free to delete this one, moderators.

Last edited:

Johnc

Welcome to TFL.

My personal recommendation would be to try out the USP. If the gun feels comfortable to you and works for you, buy it. H&K makes a reliable, quality gun. If it is going to be your duty weapon, why not hone your skills on it? You can't go wrong with a Springfield XD either. I own one and love the gun. I like it better than my Glock.

Another school of thought would be to buy an inexpensive .22 semi auto. This would give you a gun that is cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. Nothing really shoots cheaper than a .22 .

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Inspector3711

I've got the XDm in .40.. It's a great value and quite accurate. Mine has functioned flawlessly to date. The M&P is also a great choice among others. Find what feels best in your hand.

AUG

A 40sw anything is a horrible choice for a new shooter. Ammo is way more expensive than 9mm and recoil is much more aggressive which sets new shooters back.

Don't listen to the "recoil doesn't matter bla bla". You will be a better shooter (faster) if you learn to shoot before learing to control recoil.

I see guys all the time at the range with their new "glock 40" or "xd 40" that just have to have a 'fody' and they can barely stay on paper at seven yards. Then I hear them talk to their buddy about how they wouldn't shoot a 9mm because they aren't powerfull enough.

sholling

The M&P is a great choice. Accurate, reliable with outstanding ergonomics. As for the choice of caliber that's a matter of personal choice. A 9mm is a whole lot more affordable to shoot, but if you can afford to feed the 40 it's an excellent caliber. I'll second the idea of a 22 as well. Not so much as a complete substitute for the M&P but as a compliment. I find the 4" Browning Buck Mark Micro URX to have similar enough ergonomics to make it a great choice for the role and you can shoot it all day for $15.

M&P reviews...
http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=18139&hl=yam (you may have to register)

LoneStarWings

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and bouught an M&P .40 today.

I immediately went to the range and went through 150 rounds. I was OK with my results. With my last 30 rounds, all my shots were within the "9" at 3 yards and all within the "8" at 7 yards and the bullseye was well covered.

Granted, I really need a ton of improvement but I think I am getting a good feel for the weapon. I just need to decide which grip feels best, I did everything with the medium today.

I still might order an HK if the results from my psych eval. for this program come back with a green light.

Thanks for the help,
LSW

SW1911CT

I see guys all the time at the range with their new "glock 40" or "xd 40" that just have to have a 'fody' and they can barely stay on paper at seven yards. Then I hear them talk to their buddy about how they wouldn't shoot a 9mm because they aren't powerfull enough.

Haha that was me before I learned anything about shooting.

I bought a raging bull in 454 just because it was dirty harry on steroids and impressive.

It has taken me thousands of live rounds and even more dry fires to get rid of (most) of the flinch that gun instilled in me. Kind of an extreme case but still...

Now, whenever I take someone out to train them on how to shoot safely and accurately I always start them with the Ruger MKI .22 LR. It is so unintimidating and easy to shoot most people will keep all 9 rounds on a pie plate at 10 yards for their first mag.

I've since worked through a 9mm and up to a 45. I still will occasionally send a disgusting flyer about a foot lower than the rest of the group. When that happens I go right back to dry firing a few dozen times. Works like a charm.

mnhntr

you would be better served IMO buying the gun you will be using. also if you compare the two side by side the USP has far better slide and mag release hardware. depending on the varaint you get it also has a DA/SA option and a decocker. again IMO this makes the USP a far better pistol than the M&P, glock, or XD. dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong witht he M&P, however i have shot both and own a USPc variant 10 in .357sig and find this to be a superior weapon to the other polymer pistols.

PzGren

What is your budget? The gun is the smallest cost, in order to be proficient, you will need to start out with quality instructions for a good start in the right direction and will have to spend a lot on range fees and ammo.

If you really want to become proficient, you need to shoot about 500 to 1,000 rounds monthly in the next six months. A lot can be intelligently substituted and complimented with dryfire, softair, and rimfire practice.

LoneStarWings

Budget is not really an issue, as long as it doesn't get out of control and start eclipsing $5,000 for weapons and ammo this year.

But like I said, I've got the M&P now so I can start shooting immediately. I'm still waiting for the green light from my psych eval, and if I get it, will probably order the discounted HK as well. Felt good with the M&P at the range although I think I was staging the trigger pull a little bit, and I need to stop doing that. I'll try and go to the range at least once a week with my ex USMC/police officer friend for instruction.

Delaware_Dan

Is the HK going to be DAO? If you are new to shooting handguns, I would be worried about getting used to shooting the DAO and having to qualify with a DA/SA.

gglass

The M&P line of pistols is a PERFECT way to start. It usually takes a lot of cheap lemon-gun purchases to finally get to a fine firearm like the M&P. You have a leg up on most first time gun buyers.

You should ask yourself how much ammunition you can afford and how often you want to practice. If you want to shoot a lot or have a limited ammunition budget, then you should go with the M&P9... You really will not lose much of anything when it comes to self defense.

I own an M&P40 FS, a M&P9c and soon a M&P9 Pro Series. They all have great attributes and I'll probably never trade any of them.