New guy checking in

STS3_SSN705

Hi all. I got my first handgun (used stainless 686+)a couple of months ago, and I have learned much from this site already. I have a couple of questions (as new guys usually do, right?).

1. What is the best way to clean the difficult stains off of the cylinder (3 lines outside of each chamber)

2. Is the pattern below common for us new guys? As much as my ego would like to believe that this is the result of sights that need adjusting, I have a feeling my brain needs adjusting. I have spent the last month trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, but the only way I can seem to get holes in the bullseye is to aim at least 3" to the right. What gives?

shootingleft.jpg

Taxidermist

If you aim 3 inches off the paper to get that group and you are sure you are squeezing the trigger and not yanking it then I'd adjust the windage first to get on the paper then worry about the elevation later as you are atleast on the paper for elevation.

John

Tom2

If it is lead residue, after you have tried solvent and a brush, then what is left may be removed with a RIG Lead-Wipe cloth. It is sold in gun shops and consists of a treated yellow cloth wipe in a plastic bag with yellow label. Or if it is just powder burn, after getting off as much as you can with cleaning solvent, you could try one of the metal polishes like Flitz or the like. You could try more than one type of ammo in your gun. Maybe a different bullet weight than you are now using. Might not help windage but perhaps smaller groups. With fixed sights, lighter bullets will shoot lower and heavier higher. Most Smiths sights are set up with 158 grains in mind. But it is not guaranteed to be the best in your gun. Light conditions as well as shooting techniques can cause shooting to the left, especially at longer ranges. Might try a cloudy day for better sight contrast without sunlight glint or glare on the sights. See if that makes a difference.

Mark B

WELCOME!!
As far as your group goes, What was your distance? 10 ft not so great, 20yds not so bad:D

I agree with Tom2 Lead wipe is the best I've found for lead stains, and for general cleaning as well. Don't use it on blued guns, it will take the finish off. Good luck!

CarbineCaleb

Nice gun :) Try firing in single action (cock hammer for each shot with thumb), and press trigger with an infinitely slowwwww, light squeeze, and see if you still get that left-bias. If so... it may be the sights.

STS3_SSN705

Thanks for the welcomes and the quick replies. I'll try your suggestions for the cylinder cleaning. I have an impregnated polishing cloth that came with my cleaning kit, and it didn't do it. See pic below.

As for the accuracy issue, I am not having trouble hitting the paper, just the bullseye. I have been shooting from 15 and 20 yds at an indoor range. With some occasional bad shots, I can keep most of my 14 round groups at 4-5", but always 3-4" left of where I aim (center). I have been firing single action, and gently squeezing until the shot happens, but I think that you are right in suggesting that my pull is the culprit. I'll keep practicing.

cylinderstains.jpg

CarbineCaleb

Well, if you're getting that left-bias even at slow, single action mode trigger pulls, at 25 yards, and you can also get nice groups at that range... I'd adjust the rear sight on that gun.

You can move the point of impact to the right by turning the click-adjustable windage screw clockwise. Try two clicks clockwise and run another couple of cylinders, and repeat until groups are centered.

FM12

I just wanted to welocme another bubblehead to the forum! FM12 (former TM3/SS, Uss Daniel Boone SSBN 629)

STS3_SSN705

Just an update.

0000steel wool, no elbow grease:
SW357_3.jpg

6 clicks of the adjusting screw. 15 yds on left, 25 on right. I hope to get the groups tighter, but I'm happy so far. Tanks for all your help!

targets.jpg