New guns at PD.. good news and bad news.....

Rob Pincus

Okay, so we (finally !?) got issued our news H&K USPs.....

Good News:

.40 S&W instead of 9mm
No more Beretta's!
Tritium sights

Bad News:

Double Action Only trigger
13 rounds instead of 15

Now, Of course, I would've been thrilled with Glock 22's, which would've had all the Good Points and niether of the bad points....but I wasn;t in charge of procuring the new guns.

Qualification scores are going down across the board with the DOA trigger. The scores seem to be dropping on some kind of geometric scale. Those who usually score about 97% are dropping only a point or two, while those who normally shoot in the 70's are having significant dificulty even qualifying. A few people have increased there score since the last time they shot with their Beretta's, but the two individuals I know of in the position have been practising their skills in general a lot anyway.

I am really not excited about the new triggers at all. Our Tac Team will shoot their first qualifications with them in a couple weeks. Part of the Team course involves some pretty serious rapid fire... we'll see how the new triggers perform.

Hopefully, we will be bringing in H&K armorers to switch us over to Variant 1 guns with DA/SA triggers before too long!

------------------
-Essayons

Chipperman

"Qualification scores are going down across the board with the *DOA* trigger."

Was that a Freudian slip??

The scores will probably go up some with time as people get used to the different pull. I agree with you, though that the DA/SA is a better way to go.

Jeff Thomas

Well, Rob, glad to see your department is gearing up right away to support S&W. ;)

Wait for the really bad news ... in a few months (?), you'll need to remember your 'smart gun' combination, so you can get those 'neat' S&W's to work ... ;)

All kidding aside, how do you feel about the switch to .40 ... important to you, vs. 9mm?

Nice to 'see' you on the boards. Regards from AZ

ak9

Hope you have long fingers, because that is one long pull (and not the best either.)

DAO triggers should be an easier transition for older officers who are use to DAO shooting with revolvers. Now, with the puppys who aren't used to heavy and long trigger pulls, the DA/SA works fine.

Rob, please break down your shooters into old cops who carried revolvers and newer cops (regardless of age because while state and local LE can't discriminate b/c of age, the Feds may) who have always carried semis.

Rob Pincus

Jeff,

They are HK's...... in .40 S&W caliber...

Gary,

Every Officer on the Dept has been carrying a Beretta DA/SA for at least the last 8 years. This is the first time I've heard of a Dept going from DA/SA to DAO.....

The DAO choice was, IMHO, a result of a misunderstanding about trends in LE Weaponry. The only "trend" in the last 15 years is to go to Glocks. Unfortunately, Glocks are considered "DAO".

------------------
-Essayons