New Gun!!!

T-Ray

Went to Dick's tonight, on my way to academy. I was gonna go to academy and get the 700 sps in .30-06, but stopped by dicks on the way to see if they had anything good. The guy at the counter seemed a bit bewildered when i asked if they had any 700's in the back b/c they didn't have any on the racks. He comes back with a 700 sps varmint in OD green that comes with leupold bases and a remington 4x12-40 scope chambered in .308. After some consideration about whether or not it was too heavy for its intended purposes (white tail), i ended up buying it because it wasn't too heavy, and it was $200 less than what i was going to pay for the normal sps with a nikon prostaff, and the heavy barrel will be nice if i ever end up varmint hunting. Paid $499 + tax. It also has the new x-mark pro trigger, which the regular sps doesn't have

And of course, the pics

New1.jpg

New3.jpg

New4.jpg

New5.jpg

Jimro

Looks like a winner, feed her some good handloads or Black Hills match and see how tight she shoots!

Jimro

T-Ray

Regarding the leupold rifleman bases: Is the front base supposed to stick out over the barrel or the action? Based on the writing, it matches up with the rear base when it sticks over the barrel

jpwilly

I was over at Dick's sporting goods last week and looked at one of those. I was very temped to break out the CC and buy it! Nice rifle like the new trigger too. :)

T-Ray

I was over at Dick's sporting goods last week and looked at one of those. I was very temped to break out the CC and buy it! Nice rifle like the new trigger too.

Ya, i'm really liking the fact that it has the new trigger, and i'm sure i'll like it even more once i can level the scope, sight it in, and start shooting it:D

btw, does anyone know if dicks or academy sells scope leveling things or if there's a cheaper way to do it with just a normal level?

jpwilly

Go pick up a box or two of Federal Gold Metal Match and see what it will do! Don't forget to post up your targets here.

T-Ray

is the .308 capable of taking mule deer, elk, and moose (when properly loaded)? There is a chance that i go to colorado or another northern state and hunt these animals and i want to be adequately armed. I probably should've asked before i bought it, but i was pretty sure that it is capable of bringing down the stated game.

haha, when i was looking at the rebate thing, i realized that i can get some money back on the ammo i bought for it:D

Last edited:

Smaug

Don't forget a good sling. That is what will make the difference between "too heavy" and "just right". Get one with a nice, wide strap where it contacts your shoulder. Neoprene is very good; it is soft and has a bit of spring which further helps absorb the weight.

I'd sooner carry a too-heavy gun around all day a few times a year, then have the perfect gun for the range the rest of the year than vice versa and always waiting for the barrel to cool down.

Up by me, I'm carrying an extra 10 lbs. of clothes just not to freeze to death, so what is an extra couple pounds in the rifle? :D

Edit: I see that it has studs for a sling, even though it is the varmint model. Nice touch!

223 shooter

Wow , I didn't know Dick's carried the SPS in .308! That looks just like the one I bought last year from them in .223. Let us know how it shoots!

T-Ray

i'm not sure if you can tell in the pics, but there's 3 studs for slings. Are there slings that have a 3-point system, or is the extra one for different size people? (the extra one is about 2-3" away from the other on the forearm)

Also, does anyone know if dicks or academy sells scope leveling things or if there's a cheaper way to do it with just a normal level (or two)?

Last edited:

T-Ray

ohhhhhh... does it matter which one? I assume that the bipod would go on the front, the sling on the back one? I won't put a bipod on it any time soon, but if i ever go varmint hunting with it, are there detachable bipods that require little to no tools or time to attach/remove?

223 shooter

I assume that the bipod would go on the front, the sling on the back one?

Yes that is correct.

are there detachable bipods that require little to no tools or time to attach/remove?

Yeah , anything like a Harris or Shooters Ridge bi-pod require no tools and take very little time to install or take off.

jpwilly

Bipod

You can get a Shooters Ridge Rock Mount bipod at Walmart for $39 I have two that have been excellent. My next bipod will have a Cantelever feature. Otherwise for $39 you can almost have it all! Here's one on my Mossberg ATR 30-06

Picture012-1-1-1.jpg

T-Ray

scope level/mount

does anyone know if dicks or academy sells scope leveling tools/kits, or if there's a way to level it with just a normal household level (or two), or just any other "homemade" way to level the scope?

And in regards to the bipod, do the legs extend, or do you have to spend a lot more for that? and what is a cantelever feature? Sorry, i've just never had a bipod on a gun before