New gun parts packing grease: shoot or clean/re-lube?

Pistoler0

Hello,

I just got a new BCG for an AR rifle I've been waiting for.

Of course the bcg came packed in a good amount of grease/oil. Should I clean the grease and re-lube before shooting, or just shoot it as it is?

ballardw

I would clean and lube with a known lubricant.

Unknown make/type of packing grease may not be a good lubricant.

zoo

Funny, I've never received a new bcg packed in grease or even oiled. I'd clean and lube that bcg for sure and still be wondering why it came to me supposedly packaged new and pre-lubed!

dahermit

"I'd clean and lube that bcg for sure and still be wondering why it came to me supposedly packaged new and pre-lubed!"

Most likely a preservative, not a lubricant. So yes, should be cleaned and lubed.

Doberman1

It's my understanding that Sigs come lubed and ready to shoot. Kahr, on the other hand, has a ton of some cosmoline type substance that you'd better clean off and re-lube prior to shooting. Smith and Wesson seem to come bone dry. CZ had some oil but I cleaned and lubed it first. LWRC was similar to the CZ. Ruger's were dry. Most are going to need to be cleaned and lubed.

hub1home

Definitely clean off the grease and then oil all parts that make contact. That grease that's on there is just a rust preventive.

44 AMP

Staff
Grease and oil on and in parts and firearms are preservatives for storage. They MAY function as a lubricant, or they may NOT.

Clean to bare metal, and relube with the correct lubricant for USE, not a storage preservative and you're good to go.

My approach with those things is mostly not to be in a hurry. Submerge it in some odorless mineral spirits and forget about it for a month and the grease will be gone. Let it dry. Oil it. Or, if you have a quantity, submerge it in your oil and forget about it for a day. Hang it so it can drip excess oil out, and after that, you are good to go.