New gun owner, new TFL member

Wayward_Son

I've been lurking for a few months while researching two revolvers. Everything I read pointed to either the GP100 or the 686. Whichever I chose would be in stainless with a four-inch barrel, and if I chose the Smith I would opt for the "Plus" version.

At first I was leaning towards the Smith until I found out about some rare failures with the lock. At that point I turned my attention towards a GP100 with it's lower price and without a lock. I was gearing up to order one through a local distributor, but on a whim I wandered over to the firearm section at Academy. Sitting right there is a brand new four-inch 686P. $629. I thought it over for a couple days, and then went back on Friday with $100 in cash to put down as a layaway deposit. After the background check was done, I couldn't help myself: the cash stayed in the wallet, the credit card came out, and I walked away with my first firearm. (In comparison to Academy, Gander Mountain wanted $779 for a six-inch 686P; they also want $759 for a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .357... I don't see how they sell guns over there.)

It's beautiful, and I am proud that I chose a high-quality piece over a lower-priced competitor.

I put 100 rounds of 158gr lead round nose .38 special through it on Saturday, followed by 50 rounds of 110gr JHP self defense ammo. Recoil is snappy (I'm 5'9" and about 150, little fellow) but it's a pleasure to shoot. The double action trigger is grittier than I expected, but the single action is spectacular. The trigger doesn't budge until it reaches just the right amount of force and then it cleanly breaks. The cylinder does not lock up as tightly as I'd like, but I don't think it's excessive. The gun is far more accurate than I am capable of shooting. I was shooting at 15 yards.

It is my first firearm but I grew up around guns so this isn't my first shooting experience. My dad keeps only a few guns: Remington 700 30.06 (mulies, elk, pronghorn), Remington 20 gauge (his all-around do-everything gun for deer and fowl in upstate New York, now his grouse gun), Marlin .22 semiauto hiking rifle, and a six-inch Ruger Security Six .357 (technically mom's gun, but I've not once seen her fire it).

Did I mention this thing is beautiful? :cool:

Last edited:
When making a choice like that you can't really do the wrong thing. You would have been thrilled with either one and both would have served you very well.

The m686 really is a thing of beauty. I must say that I will look down at my nose at your decision though...since you foolishly opted for the 4" and not the far superior (and even more beautiful) 3" model. :p

PS: Welcome to TFL. :)

SWm686.jpg

Now what's next on your list?
Yeah...every man should have one good revolver and one good semi-auto. You already have, IMHO, one of the best revolvers ever made. Now you need to work on the semi-auto. :)

Wayward_Son

I went with the four incher because I wanted more accuracy and power down range with less recoil than a three inch, but the six incher just seems too long. I may end up hunting hogs with this gun, but it is intended to be my "do anything" gun, you know, the "if you could only own one handgun" type of thing. A four inch .357 magnum is, to me, that "only one" gun. Range use, home defense, small hunting, outdoors hiking backup (not like this is possible in southeast Texas, but in Wyoming this gun would be on my hip in the Bighorns), SHTF, zombies--basically everything but concealed carry.

As far as beauty is concerned, you have a fine pistol there. I like the grips. Aesthetically, I think a four inch barrel on a medium frame just looks right. The proportions and visual balance just seem perfect to me. I love both the 686 and the GP100 in this regard.

What's next? Well, I will still probably pick up a stainless four-inch GP100. As far as a carry piece (haven't taken the test yet, need to practice more) I'm drooling over that new SP101 in the new .327 Federal mag cartridge. I've seen the naysaying here, but I think it looks like a superb little six-shot package with the three inch barrel and adjustable rear sights. And the three inch SP101 is another gun that I can look at all day. Gorgeous. That new S&W 386 is intriguing as well. Eventually I'd like to pick up a few older Pythons. Those Colts are the nicest-looking handguns in the world, and everything I've read says the single and double action trigger is outstanding. I'd really like to pick up a couple given time.

I don't know what I'll pick up in an automatic. I really prefer wheelguns, but I will pick up a few autos down the road. I just want to make sure that I can find some that meet my needs for quality, dependability and accuracy. For a long time I've been looking at Walther's P99 in .40, but then I read about clips falling out and other reliability issues. I love the feel of my friend's Sig in .40 but then a guy at Academy told me that it's DAO. He wanted to steer me to what he considered the premium auto pistol, H&K's USP in .40. Looks like a nice piece. I know Glock has it's share of lovers and haters. .45 ACP 1911s and their clones also have their many lovers and haters. I just don't know what to pick. I want one that offers a Smith or Ruger level of wheelgun reliability and quality in a .40 automatic. I don't know yet which one to choose.

Sgt.Fathead

Ruger!

"It's beautiful, and I am proud that I chose a high-quality piece over a lower-priced competitor."

Ah, I see you are a little confused! Welcome to TFL! Yes, it's true, a higher price can denote higher quality. A lower price can be the mark of an inferior product, yes, true. But a value! Ah, there it is. Don't be confused about whether a Smith and Wesson is a higher quality than Ruger. :D

I'm joking, of course. This debate rages hard, like Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi, Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500, etc., etc. I will say congrats on your new purchase. I wish you luck with it, many years of fine shooting. PBP, where's pics of your many fine Rugers!? *sigh* Not all of us are struck with the mighty addiction! I sold all but one of my S&W wheel guns, which is technically my wife's, and bought Rugers to replace them. I own not one but two identical GP100s, 4" stainless. Several SP101s. I've only begun with the single actions!

Get yourself that GP100 and put them side by side, the old Pepsi Challenge, and see what you like best. Can't beat the Smith for smooth trigger out of the box, I admit. But it can fire rounds that would make the Smith cry for it's mama! Be careful with those SPs; they're small and addictive! Maybe you and me will be the only two guys hereabouts with the .327 Magnum.

Say, do you like KoolAid?

p.s. Ruger P94 .40S&W.....

Last edited:

Hammer It

Hello Wayward Son
And a Big Wecome to TFL Forum.;) I am Happy for you that you chose your first revolver to be the time Honored and durable S&W model 686. One Problem you will now have, is S&W Itist. :DAfter you shoot the 686 awhile, You will be forced to Buy many more S&W revolvers out there. I have all S&W revolver's in my safe, and would Not think of any other brand to replace my S&W's. I have owned Ruger's, Colt's, Tauras's, Rossi's, High Standards and H&R's, But always find myself returning to S&W's.;) I know you will Not be disapointed in your decision of Buying that 686 there are a ton of them out there along with Happy Owners that have them. Regards, Hammer It

Wayward_Son

Fathead: When I mentioned the "lower-priced competitor thing" I really wasn't referencing Rugers. I was actually geared up for a Gp100 but I saw this 686P-4 and instant gratification kicked in. What I was really talking about was buying a quality revolver over a mid-priced also-ran like Rossi and Taurus (sorry, Rossi/Taurus fans :eek: ) or even some kind of Saturday Night Special. I'm glad that I bought a reputable gun from a reputable manufacturer, in a reputable platform. That should be enough said. I would have (and will, given time and money) been equally served by a GP100 in stainless. That is why I will eventually own one of each.

Sgt.Fathead

Wayward, I'm glad to see you can take a little ribbing. I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of that 686 and then, when you get that GP100, those Smiths have great resale value! :rolleyes:

Agreed on the Taurus (better than they were but still not my cup of tea) and Rossi (Yuck!) and various other brands. Good Luck with it, welcome aboard and shoot safe and often!

Wayward_Son

Thanks! Ribbing is alway taken as good fun. I work in a heavy blue-collar environment so it comes with the territory.

Since this is my first gun, I don't plan on selling it at any point. This is a future gift for a grandchild, universe willing.

You know what's fun? Getting strange (envious?) looks from the half-dozen guys shooting various bottom-feeders while you're blasting away with a big, stainless steel, medium-frame .357 magnum. There's just something classy about a revolver. :cool:

Sgt.Fathead

"You know what's fun? Getting strange (envious?) looks from the half-dozen guys shooting various bottom-feeders while you're blasting away with a big, stainless steel, medium-frame .357 magnum. There's just something classy about a revolver."

I know the feeling well, especially at indoor ranges. It's not so noticeable when you are flanked by 1911 shooters but when you're in a middle stall with with a Glock 19 on one side and a Beretta 92 on the other, well, that's the right time to go with a couple rounds of Hydra Shok. Don't grin too much.

Your Smith will last. Your imminent GP100 will go to your great grandchildren's grandchildren, God willing. :D