New gun for girlfriend to use?

kaylorinhi

I am looking at buying a bolt gun in .223 for my GF to use when we shoot. I have no brand loyalty and am thinking, Savage, Rem, or Howa. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I will need a youth model or a shorter aftermarket stock. I would like to stick $500 but not a major concern.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_280/products_id/54803

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43529

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-young-bucks.aspx

Any other suggestions or comments will help alot.

Thanks Mike

TX Hunter

Any of the three you mentioned would make her a good rifle.
But I bet she sure would look nice shooting a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .223.:)

ndking1126

All the above seems fine. Howa's are a great value. Savages are accurate and very reasonably priced, and the Remington will probably have the best fit and finish of them all, without sacrificing accuracy, but will likely cost the most.

I would recommend you consider the Stevens 200. I have one in .223 and it's a fine little gun for the price. Not a youth model, but it's not that big either. You could probably pick one up for $325 OTD, or less if on sale.

That leaves $$ a scope, or maybe a night on the town if that's her thing. :)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Since the fit of the rifle to her dimensions is of extreme importance, my opinion is that she should have the opportunity to "feel and fondle" before any purchase is made. Length of pull, drop at comb; these make a big difference in "shootability" when proper for the person...

chris in va

The CZ carbine would be nice, but the stock is pretty long despite it's small size. The prices have gone way up since I bought mine a few years ago.

I know you said bolt gun, would it be for hunting or does she want to just plink at the range? If plinker, consider a Saiga 5.56 for ~$420.

oldcars

I have owned a Stevens 200(Savage) and a Howa 1500 both in .223 and they were both fine rifles. The Stevens was cheap and ugly but shot great, held 7 rounds in the magazine and was very accurate. The Howa was also a good shooter and had a nicer safety, hinged floorplate, good fit & finish, etc. They both had easily adjustable factory triggers and it's not hard to get a good pull out of them. I see that you can now get a Howa that comes with 2 stocks (short & regular) for a pretty decent price and that is what I would recomend in your situation. I have nothing good to say about the new Remingtons being made. Bad customer service, severe cheapening of the guns, just skating along on a previous good reputation and name. I like my older Remingtons, but the last couple of guns I have had experience with were un-accurate, poorly working, and cheaply made.........but still had that high Remington price tag.

Wolfeye

I'd recommend taking her to a gun shop and letting her try on a few. After watching my wife pick out a shotgun for herself, there's no way I'd recommend buying one for a woman without her handling it first.

That said, I'd try either Savage or Marlin. Both are accurate and affordable.

rezmedic54

Rifle

I'm kind of partial to Savage. I picked up a 110 in .223 about 4 years ago. It had the original stock that some one over tightened and ruined anyway put it in a Choate Super Sniper and the rifle shoots 1/4" groups at 100 all day long. It is the 1 in 9 62 gr. and up and that old rascal will shoot it. It has a BSA platinum 6 x 24 x 44 scope Harris bipod and I'll put it up against almost any other rifle out there. So that's my 2 cents take it for what it's worth

kaylorinhi

Thank you all

I will let her try a few on and just watch her reaction and ease of shoulder. I am starting to lean towards the stevens, savage, and howa but if I can find a CZ around here that as well, I know that is the short list right! So it goes with women and guns

Its nice to see a guy that wants to pick a sensible gun for his GF for a change... Way too many women are turned off to guns after shooting something they shouldn't, due to the stupidity of their father, BF, or husband...

kaylorinhi

Got IT

SO I bid on and won a Stevens/Savage 200 in .223 with glass and I only paid 389 and plus shipping and such. So I figure a bit $400 total and she will be happy for years. I will post up her targets and some hopefully in the next few once I get the rifle.

Q, anything I should be wary of or questions I should ask the shop as this is my first time with an online auction?

Win_94

I have a Howa 1500 in 30-06 and love it! It cost $450 equipped with a $150 Nikko Stirling scope.
The rings were on the cheap side, (aluminum,) but with a 223 they might work well.

jmorris

I am looking at buying a bolt gun in .223 for my GF .... Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Let her pick.

I don’t care if the reason is “it’s pretty” or “the other one smelled”. Some day your going to need to remember “happy wife, happy life”.