New GSG-1911 or a full .45 1911 first?

Tatsumi67

I've been seriously considering gettting a Para GI Expert (Or SA Mil Spec) in the last few months, especially since I shot better with a friendly gentleman's Para GI than with the Glock 21 I'd been shooting all day.

I just saw GSG's new .22 1911 on aimsurplus, with "tacticool" things on it like a rail and a skeletonized hammer that comes with a fake can phaux suppressor. I'm in Minnesota so I can't get suppressors.

So now I'm trying to decide getting the .22 1911 first, or the true 1911 in .45 auto. I'm no stranger to 1911s and they are differently next on my buy list but now I have to choose between a very cool .22 practice gun or a .45 for keeps.

Help?

EDIT: I DO already have a .22 plinker, a MKIII. So the GSG is just to have a .22 1911.

Last edited:

insolentshrew

I guess my question would be do you have a 22 plinker for fun at all? If not I'd say the gsg1911 would be a good investment, it is near the top of my list of next guns to buy. I want something different from the typical ruger mk or browning buckmark that most people have, but still a good fun 22. If you already have a good plinker go for a 45, only reason the gsg is on top for me is for cheap range time.

DiCarnage

Shrew is right. If you already have a .22 to work with, go for your bigger investment first. Also don't forget that there are lots of .22 conversions out there for your 1911, but not vice versa.
Yes, a conversion might run you about as much as the GSG, but with a conversion you can practice with your full-time gun, save money on ammo, and still be well acquainted with your heavy duty piece.

Of course, I DO understand the draw of just having more guns in your collection...