New grips for my Smith 60 3"

HighValleyRanch

I could not find any production grips that I liked, so I made a set yesterday for my new Smith Model 60 with the 3" barrel. I chose the traditional one instead of the performance model.

The grips are made out of black walnut and surround the frame and extend a little down. The problem was that the production boot grips all look too short, and the longer target ones too long.

I put in a little "tang" so that I can slide my hand in the same way every time, and one finger groove, so the middle and little finger are in the bottle groove, and did a little "Birdshead" mod on the bottom for concealed carry.

Black water based stain over the walnut with dark walnut oil stain over the top with stippling over the finger grooves.

Also the grips are thinner than the stock rubber grips widthwise and very tapered at the bottom.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    704.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    625.2 KB · Views: 357

bamaranger

very nice

I mean this in a positive way....that M60 looks like a 686 that shrunk! I was not aware that a M60 was made that was so configured.....3" bbl, underlug with shrouded ejector, adjustable sights....wow. Likely .357 mag....yeah? Wow again.

My connection to the J-frames ended about 1985. The Model 60 is all grown up.

HighValleyRanch

THANKS everyone! Yes, it is like my mini 686!
It handles .357 just fine.

The stippling is done with two different size ball heads on a Dremel tool.

WmMunny

Photo tip: When you're trying to highlight your very nice brown wood grips, don't display them against a brown wood background :)