New GP-100 or Used Redhawk?

Falcon642

So I'm in the market for a woods gun. In my area I can get a new GP-100, 6 inch barrel, .357 mag for $550. Depending on the auction, I can get a used Ruger Redhawk .44 mag for roughly the same price.

I'm pretty set on double action Ruger, not a Taurus fan, and Smith and Wesson is just out of the price range.

So what would you get? I'm not recoil sensitive so the extra oomph of the .44 mag doesn't bother me. For where I live, Washington State, with tiny black bears the .357 makes alot of sense. But we visit either Glacier or Yellowstone every year so grizzlies are an occasional concern.

Thanks for being a sounding board guys.

Edward429451

Your choice seems clear. You want to take enough gun for the biggest critter you may run into. You said you go to big bear country so it seems that the 44 Mag is the better choice.

If you only need 357 power at times, then you can just load light loads for the 44 for those occasions.

Pond James Pond

Agreed with both remarks.

Unless the weight of the Redhawk is going to be a discomfort (I do feel it after a while) or then ammo for it too expensive, then go with the .44

GP100man

A good holster will make the Redhawks weight more bearable(pun intended) a chesty carry is my prefered for woods bumming or hunting .

Considering ammo for both calibers , if ya shoot any amount at all you`ll have to reload to afford it !!

I like the versatility of both calibers !

All things considered , big animals with big teeth , a caliber that starts with a 4 would surely make me feel a bit more comfortable.

As far as the new/used aspect , check out the used closely & if it meets specs no problem with used.

Webleymkv

The Redhawk will give you the most versatility as you can shoot anything from light .44 Special Cowboy Action ammo to the miniature Hiroshima Bombs sold by the likes of Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Grizzly, and Garrett and anthing in between.

bossman

I think the GP 100 is a fine all around woods gun. I would have no problem buying a used Redhawk either. As GP100man said the chesty carry holsters are a great way to carry through thick underbrush and the gun is easily in reach. I use one to carry my 7 1/2in. Blackhawk around.

I think if I was truly worried about big bears I would be looking for a .454 Casull in the Redhawk. As for shooting for other things beside hunting the .357 will be more cost friendly. Good luck as all of the guns should serve you well.

Meditator

Shop around a little bit- you should be able to get a lightly used GP100 or even a (Super) Redhawk for under $500. I wouldn't worry about used Ruger anyway, since their revolvers are built tough and CS is excellent- unless they have no part for your gun.

I would get one of each which is what I have: KGP100 w/ 4" barrel and Super Redhawk w/ 7..5" barrel.

ShotPlacement

Grizzly?
Your choice is clear. 44 Mag or 454 Casull

44 Mag is cheaper to shoot and will do the job.

454 Casull produces approx. 50% more energy than a 44 Mag but you'd better hang on to it when you pull that trigger!

I like Rugers and have - or have had - GP100s and SRHs. Also had a 454 Taurus Raging Bull, it was a nice gun no doubt about it - with .002 clearance between the cylinder and the forcing cone -sweet! IMHO the Taurus shot better than the SRH because of the extra weight of the gun and the barrel underlug. Not to mention the ported barrel on the RB. But the Ruger offered and extra shot.

Personally I'm torn between the two if I ever decided to play with 454s again.

One more thing. The 454 is loud - VERY LOUD!

Last edited:

EdInk

Since grizzlies are a potential issue, I would opt for the .44 magnum Redhawk. I find the 5.5" barrel model the most comfortable and versatile. Buffalo Bore makes a hard cast round that will put serious hurt on anything in the lower 48 states.

coolbreezy

got this baby for $400 used otd, id stick with the redhawk. i own both guns youre looking for
ed6d4dc2.jpg