New Government Model

DAVID NANCARROW

I've been looking to purchase a basic no frills Government Model for some time now. I see the trend towards front serrated slides, upswept beavertail safeties, oversized thumb safeties and all that, but to my eye a basic 45 is an instrument of beauty.
For Father's Day, my better half decided to do me this great favor as a reward-much better than ties that say "Dad", underwear, socks, or implements of yard care! The polish is okay-not show grade, the rounds are dull finished, and bluing is even. The rosewood grips have impressed checkering which is not my favorite, but I still get a good, secure grip. All the controls work nicely.

I detail stripped it, clean and oiled, grabbed a hundred rounds of various loads to include 200gr semi wad cutters, JHP in 185 and 200 gr from Hornady and Nosler, some Gold Dots in 200 and 230 and some Speer flying ashtrays to check function. No hiccups or bobbles of any sort.

Two items came to my attention.
1. The extractor was clocking just a bit, not enough to interfere, but it was slinging the brass over a wide area. Since I roll my own, I wanted to see if I could fit a firing pin stop in order to help it. Bought an oversized Series 80 flat bottomed FPS and after a bit of filing tapped it into place. The brass now lands about 6 feet to my right rear. The new FPS also helped in controlling the recoil, and a magazine full in rapid fire gave me a pretty good group, all in the black. The target shown is slow fire at 15-the two extra holes were entirely my fault.
2. Being a basic model, I expected less than a perfect trigger, and I did feel some creep. I suppose that I could have broken it in over time, but a medium and fine ceramic stick cleaned it up nicely. I don't have a gauge to measure the pull weight, but its a clean break with no hammer follow.

Call me a very happy and satisfied Dad.

Attachments

• resized.JPG
    resized.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 118
  • target - Copy.JPG
    target - Copy.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

qwiksdraw

That's what I got and it's a reliable and fun gun to shoot, it makes me shoot better than I can.

Last edited:

KyJim

Uh, I got a Starbucks gift card for Father's Day. Nice, but it doesn't compare to that Colt! Congratulations.