New Glock owner, which caliber???

Hi, Ive been saving up a little money on the side for my first handgun which is gonna be a glock and I went on their website to check out their models and there were several calibers, the gun is purely for target practice, not concealed carry and caliber dosent matter for home defense since the crime rate in my town is practically non-excistent.
I was thinking of .40, 9mm, .45, or the .357, what are the pros and cons of each and which one do you recommend.

rjrivero

Do you plan on shooting any USPSA/IPSC? GSSF? Make sure you choose a gun that will fit into the class you plan on shooting.

You can do anything from production to full custom for most events and you want to make sure your glock fits in whichever category you plan on shooting.

I prefer a .40 caliber. I can drop in a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm or .357 Sig. In my opinion, it's the most versatile of the glocks.

MTS840

Hi, Ive been saving up a little money on the side for my first handgun which is gonna be a glock and I went on their website to check out their models and there were several calibers, the gun is purely for target practice, not concealed carry and caliber dosent matter for home defense since the crime rate in my town is practically non-excistent.
I was thinking of .40, 9mm, .45, or the .357, what are the pros and cons of each and which one do you recommend.

Totally up to you. If you can, you should try to handle and fire as many different calibers as you can. There is no one caliber that is best for everybody. Some shoot one caliber better than another. There is no 'one size fits all.'

Since you mention about saving up money, the 9mm will be cheapest to fire, unless you start handloading.

Since you're a beginner, any of these calibers will serve you well. Don't rely on internet posters to choose a caliber for you. This is sort of like choosing a pair of shoes. What I like may not be best for you.

spacecoast

Do you plan on shooting any USPSA/IPSC? GSSF? Make sure you choose a gun that will fit into the class you plan on shooting.

It's a bit doubtful that someone considering their first handgun would know how to answer a question like this.

So you're taking up golf... which tour do you plan to play? Nationwide? Champions? PGA? Better make sure your clubs are legal for the tour you plan to play...

To the OP - I would definitely start with 9mm (as I did)

Clay

I'm with 45reloader. I got a Glock 33 for the specific purpose of carrying the 357, but easily convertible to the 9 for all day shooting (ok, an hour or two). I wouldn't recommend the 33 or 26 as they're small, but something like the compact or regular sizes.

Don P

9mm will be the cheapest as far as ammo goes and will be a pleasure to shoot at the range. 40S&W tends to get snappy with regards to recoil as will the Sig and 45acp

J.Netto

Any of the Glock models would make a Great gun for a trip to the range when you want to do some shooting, and great gun for home defense.

Even with no crime rate, anything can happen. I've said it before but, Crime happens anywhere, and bad people are everywhere. You just never know...

That being said, I am really fond of the pretty much anything Glock :D

If it's going to be for target shooting, a Glock 34, or 35 might be a good choice.

flashover251

I recommend trying to find a range somewhere close to you that rents guns. Try a few calibers and then make your decision.

Glock is an overall good choice and any caliber will serve you well.

williamd

Have a 40 and a 45. Both nice guns ... not as nice as my Colt and SA 1911's though :D .... I like the 45 more but admit to being a 45 fan. I can shoot it somewhat better, find it very accurate. 40 or 45 is great. I'd choose both over the 9 or the 357Sig.

bobelk99

Glock

I own multiple handguns, including more than one Glock.

I don't shoot competition, and am not a remarkable marksman. I have, however, shot over 100k rounds in various weapons.

Let the first gun be just that. Don't buy a gun because it can do something special later when you buy more parts. you can most likely get back 75-80% of your Glock investment if you decide to change guns.

Go to a public range and rent/shoot whatever you decide to buy before you buy it.

My .02$ worth is to buy the lightest caliber available (9mm) and shoot it till you are a decent shot with it, without thinking about later guns.

Consider weight lifting as a comparison. Would you want to start with a weight you can handle reasonably, or get a heavier set because it makes more bang if you drop it.

BTW: How many nations arm their military with the 'puny' 9mm?

Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of handguns.

K, G17 sounds like the best option after some clarification, Im not worried about the compact models, not only dont I like the look of the compact models but I figure the full size models will be a bit more accurate.

Officer's Match

the g38 is the best gun glock ever made.

Fixed it for ya'. ;)

IMG_0072.jpg

silent_warrior

If you're just using it for target practice, the choice should be a no brainer - 9mm. The ammo is half the price of any of the other options.

However, with that said, if you get a Glock in .40S&W or .357SIG, you can buy 9mm conversion barrels from Lone Wolf for $100. Simply swap barrels and use a 9mm magazine and now you have both a .40 and a 9mm, or a .357 and a 9mm. If you went that route, my choice would be the .357SIG, simple because it's got more punch than the .40S&W.

If you have small hands, like me, a Glock in .45ACP is not really an option. The frame is too wide. It doesn't bother me personally, because I really have no desire to own a .45ACP.

Water-Man

Glocks are the most dependable in 9mm. 9mm ammo is cheaper than the other three choices. I would recommend the G17 and G19 in that order.