New Glock 20C

cwok

Just bought a new Glock 20C (10mm compensated -- 4.5 inch barrel and 28 ounces empty).
Shoots good --- but I'm glad I picked the C model).

I normally shoot 10mm in an EAA Hunter (6 inch barrel and 40 ounces empty).
I've been wanting another 10mm and was considering one on a 1911 platfrorm when I found out that our local Glock Store ('Just Glocks', Copperas Cove, Texas) has a small range set-up and rents Glocks.

This was the first time I ever tried firing the model weapon I was buying. Less than $25.00 + my own ammo [they were out of 10mm] for range time and rental of a 20C.
I fired 50 rounds Saturday and was very comfortable with the weapon.

Bought the 20C the one they had on hand was fixed sights, but they installed Glock adjustable sights while I was filling in the background check -- total cost was a little under $670 with the sights.).
I took my new weapon to the range Sunday and put 100 rounds through it. By the time I was half-way through the second fifty rounds I was thinking that "I dont know how much these slots actually are helping - but I'm glad they are there".

One heck of fine design in my mind. Trigger is good, Takedown is awesomely easy, cleaning is simple, and I've read nothing but good things about the Tenifer finish.

Things I'm not crazy about:
Why in the world didn't Mr. Glock put a little taper on the front of the slide to help in reholstering (I don't plan on using it for carry --- but a lot of police do).
And, I'm old fashioned --- An external safety just seems like something that 'ought to be there' on a full size auto.
YES -- IF YOU don't want it to fire -- DON'T put your finger on the trigger --- buuuuuut it just outttta have an external safety.

Overall -- a great weapon at a superb price.

And the 10MM IS Awesome -- and by shooting 10MM I get to reload -- that is until I win the lottery.

No pics because:
A - I don't know how to post
and
B - Its a Glock --- nothing to see, just shoot it.

pacerdude

Congratulations on your new Glock!

If you dont mind my asking, how bad is the recoil of a 10mm compared to a .40 S&W? I know that the 10mm is a good deal more powerful, but I have never actually fired one.

cwok

Recoil 40 versus 10mm versus .45 acp

Don't have a 40 caliber for comparison, but I find the 10MM seems to be 'stouter' than a 45acp, but not more powerful than a fairly powerful .357 round.
Personally I think the 40 caliber has a sharpter muzzle blast (noise) than most other pistols but that is just an opinion.

Note: however that I noticed a marked difference in perceived recoil when I went from a forty ounce 10mm (EAA Hunter) to the Glock at only 28 ounces.

As I understand it, the compensator slots on the barrel may not have much effect on the energy/momentum of the recoil in my hand (not sure of correct term), but can help in getting, or keeping, the sights lined up with the target.

Overall, I'd say that you can handle .40 caliber, moderate .357, or a .45 acp, then moving to 10MM would not be an issue unless you have problems with the grip (angle/size etc). If it doesn't 'feel right' before you fire, it sure won't when you do fire.
If you shoot 10mm and forgot to be rich - then you'll find yourself reloading.

The Deuce

Until recently I had NEVER considered purchasing a 10mm. Never. Why? BECAUSE The stigma in my head had always been conventional. 9mm, .38spcl, .357mag, .40, .44mag, 45acp .. These 6 rounds make up probably 90% of my collection. Why? Because I had been stuck on the fact of well, what good is a gun with no ammunition to fire from it?

The other 10% is comprised of every other random caliber you can think of.. .22LR, .22Mag, .41RemMag, .50AE, .454Casull, .480ruger, .500S&W, .30Carbine, .380acp, 45gap, and Yes.. .50GI

BUT ZERO 10mm.

It wasn't until 4.. maybe 5 days ago while discussing this very topic that I came to an extremely realistic conclusion. I NEED 10mm.

and after reading this thread topic (THANK YOU VERY MUCH BY THE WAY)..

I have come to realize.. that I need to choose which GLOCK 10mm to get..

Do I go with the C? or with the SF? *I am not technically ASKING these questions.. more so.. just for my own benefit*

But thanks to this very Thread.. I am Submit my Reply and head to the My Local Gun Shop and see what I come up with.:D