New Glock 20 - 10mm Owner!!!!

jtduncan

Can't wait to shoot this G20! Used by a local SWAT officer who got another Glock - a Glock 35 in 40SW. I got two hi caps and Trijicon night sights for $495.

I'm stoked. I've always wanted a full-sized Glock and now I've got a reason to reaload in 10mm.

Two questions:

1. Any must have accessories like an extended slide lock and an extended slide lever? I'm dropping in a 3.5 trigger bar connector right off the bat.

2. What are the most popular weight bullets you guys are shooting? seems like 180 grains are the most popular but I think the 165 grainers would be funner to shoot and get a higher velocity.

What do you think?

shiroikuma

I'm jealous. I just tried to talk someone out of a G20 with night sights and 2 hi and 2 low caps for $650. He's never shot it (he says). I don't think he's going to go for it either. :(

shiro

Chessman

If you reload for *hot* loads (e.g. those in the 600 ft-lbs of energy range), consider replacing the recoil spring with a Wolfe spring. The stock spring is 17 lbs. I use a 22 lb. Wolfe spring, with a stainless steel guide rod. Glockmeister sells all this stuff.

Another fun accessory is the Glock 6-inch hunting barrel. Not necessary, but looks cool. Also lets you push those velocities up.

I prefer shooting the heavy 180g bullets, mainly because they give the stiffest recoil. But if you like hot loads, either 155g, 165g or 180g will all work fine.

fed168

I prefer the extended slide stop and the extended mag release. I prefer to grab something on a gun if I need to use it, those tiny parts just don't fit my bill. Alot of it is personal choice. I have found that the extended parts make running the gun a bit easier.

AndABeer

I'm still pissed at my G20. It was the first Glock I bought after swearing them off for several years. Now I own ten Glocks in various models. :D

viesczy

Well, must haves for add-ons would be an extended slide stop lever if the G20 is a little big in your hands. Aside from that, you have night sights, so you are set!

As for ammo. . .

With some proper home brewing, 180gr jhps should skip outta the G20 in the neighborhood of 1250-1300fps.

I know that with Power Pistol and a 135gr loading the velocity listed at 1500fps+ if I recall correctly, but I do believe that was from a 5.5" barrel. Looking at the 155gr loadings. . . AA#9 was listed at something like 1415fps from a 5" barrel I believe.

Derek

CastleBravo

Actual chrono data for factory loads...

(done by MCNETT over at Glock Talk with his Glock 20C)

Winchester Super-X 175gr STHP
Advertised: 1290 (w/5.5" test barrel)
4.6" ported: 1168 FPS
6" unported: 1322 FPS

Georgia Arms 155gr Gold Dot JHP
Advertised: 1375 FPS
4.6" ported: 1353 FPS
6" unported: 1538 FPS

Cor-Bon 180gr JSP
Advertised: 1300 FPS
6" unported: 1422 FPS

I *think* his chrono #s for the Pro-Load 155gr were ~1250 FPS/1350 FPS for the 4.6" ported/6" (advertised at 1350).

Those are some serious velocity gains from the long barrel, making me think this is a good addition if you want to get all you can out of 10mm. I would *guesstimate* the porting is costing about ~25 FPS, FWIW.

C.B.

BigG

The original Norma load that made the 10mm name

was a 200gr at 1200 fps. The platform was the Bren Ten. Most current 180s are downloaded to 40 S&W ballistics. HTH

M

M58

Some ammo I like other than my reloads that I like:
Silvertips, ProLoad, Hornady, Magsafe.

I like the extended slide lock lever for one hand drills and pin shoots where time is a factor; not saying it is better; just a way amoung many.

Enjoy!:)

Intel6

180 JHP at 1250-1300 fps?

viesczy,

My handload that I carry in my G20 when I am out in the boonies pushes a 200 gr XTP at 1,275 fps. Shoots great and it is good to have 18 of them on tap if needed. Lots of guys coming up with some great loads in the 10mm.

A great place to look is Rocketman's site at http://www.ballisticreview.com/

viesczy

Intel6

That's some warm loads there!

I do see that the barrel used for brewing these *feeb* :)D) loads was a 6" KKM barrel. High pressure and long barrels makes for some COOKING numbers!

Derek

Anthony

Congragulations on your new purchase!

I've had a G20 for a couple of years and I have noticed that it seems to have a decided preference for heavier bullets. The 155-grain variety feed fine, but the 175, 180, and 200-grain stuff is much more accurate. Other G20 shooters online have agreed with my experience.

You might keep this in mind if you notice it too.

I like 175-grain Silvertips or the Federal Classic 155-grain (1330 fps) load.

- Anthony

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations!

Enjoy the autocannon of the Glock world! (Now you need a G29 to make the perfect CCW companion for it. ;) )

hipwr40

jtduncan, if you get tired of your new G20, I'll take the upper off your hands for you. It would go nice w/ my G21.
Congratulations.

denfoote

jt,
I know what you mean. I finally got the G30 that I have been pineing for, for Christmas. Boy is it sweet!!!