New Glock 19 Gen 3: Cartridge Malfunction?

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I'm at somewhat of a loss. Went shooting last night with my newer Glock 19 Gen 3. I've put 115 gr FMJ Tul-Ammo and Federal Champion through it with no issues, ~ 200 rounds. Last night all I had was the dreaded Winchester White Box. Besides shooting a tad high and right, it was going okay until I got an odd malfunction. I am not sure if it happened when feeding or extracting. Please see the attached pictures.

As you can see, the cartridge is pretty mangled. One part of the case was pushed down, exposing the bottom of the bullet, and the top was indented with a perfect crescent. The seating of the bullet in the case also appears bent. I can assure you the cartridge was not like that when I loaded the magazine (or so I thought);). I had shot a good 50 or so rounds before this happened. I stopped after it happened, then finished up with some Speer Gold Dots, with no issues obviously.

Anyway, does anyone know what happened, should I be concerned, and should I pretty much ban WWB from my Glock?

Thanks,
-TR

Attachments

• 2011-09-03_18-36-59_768.jpg
    2011-09-03_18-36-59_768.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 2011-09-03_18-51-30_822.jpg
    2011-09-03_18-51-30_822.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 2011-09-03_18-56-15_981.jpg
    2011-09-03_18-56-15_981.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Don Glock

that round came out of the box messed up. something happened at the factory when the bullet was being seated into the shell.

WWB has received a multitude of complaints lately. their QC is in the crapper. stick to fed champion.

your glock is innocent :)

Will Beararms

Yes it is. I have been getting .40 ammo that corrodes in no time. I don't understand it. I have ammo 20 years old where the brass is fine still.

TunnelRat

Yeah I hate WWB, sadly it was all that was available that day. I have one Wal Mart near me that usually has Fed Champion, which I generally like as it usually works pretty well, but sometimes they are out. None of the rest carry Federal, at least they never have it in stock.

If I can't get Fed Champ, is Remington UMC > WWB or are they both equally ****ty?

Don Glock

yeah UMC is another brand i will not buy anymore. utter crap.

i buy fed champion, blazer brass, pmc bronze, sellior&bellot, or winchester ranger fmj LE ammo.

Last edited:

shortwave

Looking at that projectile, it looks as though it was seated at an angle. The base of the projectile looks like its 'belled' where the brass is missing. If thats the case, then there was a bell in that side of the brass which may have caught and tore off when that rd. was stripped from the mag. during shooting.

Did you find that piece of brass down in your Glock somewhere?

voyager4520

I can assure you the cartridge was not like that when I loaded the magazine.
I think it was. I've seen similar issues with WWB.

If the gun did indeed cause that, the only way it could've happened would be that it was the top round in the magazine and it was quite far forward, nearly a double feed. As the round in the chamber fired and the barrel came back, the feed ramp of the barrel dug right into the nose of that bullet. That's the only way it could've happened in my mind, that's the only force strong enough in the feeding process to cause it.

But the fact that the lip of the case mouth is folded under the bullet, that would only happen two ways. First, when the cartridge was made the bullet was seated off center. Second, the bullet wasn't seated properly in the case in the first place, and as you fired the round before that one the bullet came out of the case, then the feed ramp of the barrel pushed the bullet back off-center of the case, folding part of the case mouth under the bullet.

Open up your magazine and see if any gunpowder falls out.

Last edited:

7jinxed7

Where are people getting this stuff? I have shot thousands of rounds of white box winchester without issues. I have shot over 4500 rounds out of my g23 which about 4000 of that was winchester and several hundred more out of my M&P 9c with no issues. I have never experienced issue like that ever.

I'd take WWB over UMC anyday. I've shot thousands of rnds of WWB without a single quality issue. The bullets are formed nicely compaired to both Champion and UMC, and the primers have been good, the powder charges have been consistant.

TunnelRat

Didn't see any brass or powder in the magazine, but to be honest I didn't look very hard as I cleared the magazine as soon as I had the malfunction. I am starting to believe that it was malformed when loaded. The indentation on the tip of the bullet matches up exactly with the wall of the chamber. I think the round rammed right into the chamber edge when it was stripped from the magazine because of the bend.

To clarify, my issues with WWB stem from the fact that for me personally I have had more issues with WWB than any other ammo manufacturer I've used (mostly hard primers, this is the first malformed cartridge). We all base our opinions off of personal experience. Personally I have never had an issue with Remington UMC, but these boards are full of people and pictures that disagree.

For all the people that say, "well I have never had a problem with such and such", that doesn't mean that other people haven't had such problems. The same goes for the people that say, "well this is crap", as likely there are others who have used it with no problems.

C0untZer0

I have Federal ammo that I bought in 1987 that I fired a few weeks ago and it worked great.

I know that Olin moved their facilities from Alton IL to Oxford Mississippi.

Is this ammo coming out of Oxford?

Uncle Malice

You guys are wasting your money buying that wal mart retail junk.

The reloads from USAAmmo.com are great, and the cheapest I've found.

They're a little bit dirty, but they have all been very consistent. I have not seen a single bad round through 1000 rounds of their 9mm, 500 rounds of their .40, and 250 rounds of their 10mm.

I'm also a very big fan of BVAC reloads. You can get them through CheaperThanDirt. Excellent quality and great accuracy. Still a decent price too - although not as cheap as usaammo.

Don't bother with Federal Champion.. that stuff is nasty dirty.

Walt Sherrill

I can assure you the cartridge was not like that when I loaded the magazine.

I'm sure you believe that to be true, but you'll have a hard time convincing anybody else... Some of us have seen some weird crap come out of ammo boxes -- especially WWB.

I'm pretty sure that what you see there is a manufacturing problem, as there's really no way your handgun could generate the force needed to do something LIKE that to a cartridge.

As you can see in your first photo, part of the cartridge case has been rolled UNDER the bullet, and pressed into the case, which could only have been done as the bullet was being pushed into the case during manufacture, catching the case edge.

Once the round has been packaged and put in the WWB Box, the bullet itself would have to be pulled out a ways (to catch the lip of the casing) and then pushed back into the cartridge again, to bend it under as it is shown, there. There's no mechanism in your gun that would or could pull the bullet out of the case, and no room to do it, either. Even if the bullet were LOOSE, I don't know how it would have room to do what was needed to deform the case like that.

It came out of the box that way, and while you probably tried to check them thoroughly before loading, you simply MISSED that one.

Last edited:

745SW

Yes me too. Got a cartridge looking similar to the distorted round pictured but was in 45ACP and it is WWB 100 bulk pack from Wallyworld.

An isolated comment I read about Glock’s kabooming with WWB. Didn’t think much about it at the time but after giving it more thought because of these manufacturing blemishes I believe it’s a real possibility with a striker fired Glock. The person mentioned most calibers with the exception of 9mm and 10mm. 9mm is known to fire out of battery without ill effects.

mes228

WWB

Guess I'm cheap. I shoot a LOT of WWB from Walmart. I shoot a few boxes a week through .45's and 9mm's. When I shoot ball ammo it's pretty much WWB. Hollowpoint's can be anything that's inexpensive ie a lot of Federal, Remington, Fiocchi, etc.etc.. I have never had a problem with WWB and it is inexpensive. If it's made to industry standards a pistol that is "built right" will want to run anything. All my keeper pistols run just about anything that will fit in the mag.