'New' Gen 4 G19 Range reports

briang2ad

Took my May 12 G19 out again for another 200 rounds today. I did 250 about 2 weeks ago. I've been shooting Fed Champion 115 gr (Wally World) and some new Aguila 124 gr. - bought it because I heard it runs better in the Gen 4 spring setup.

No failures of any kind so far. First time out I got some real slide burn/bite. I now have a GF Adapter. No bite - and the sights seem to line up a bit easier - recoil MAY be a bit more direct also.

Ejection - none to the head. With the 115 gr, I do get an occasional case over the head to the rear - well to the rear. With the 124 gr, which has noticeably more recoil, it is all to the 5 O'Clock position and thrown fairly far.

I have now run the ejection experiment with no mag. 115gr will often stovepipe when ejecting with no mag. The 124 gr ejects normally. It is amazing how much the mag makes a difference with the 115 gr.

I do believe that I'll try the Apex extractor when it comes out. I'm not a fan of fixing things that work, but it may improve ejection. I have the new stout ejector.

I had considered the PPQ, and despite all the reports of the Gen 4 problems went with the G19, because I always admired the form factor, weight, and simplicity. I also could get it at LEO prices.

Also, this trigger seems to be breaking in nicely - like my sons Gen 3, with a smooth takeup and nice crisp letoff. not too stout. I still need more time on it because it is way different than my CZs and Hipower. Overall, for a gun with no manual safety, I like it.

I THINK I'll stay with the GFA. While it lengthens the pull, it keeps the gun orientation more 1911ish and keep the hands OR gloves away from the slide in recoil - which would NOT be a good thing.

So far I like my Gen 4. Perfection would be no finger grooves, and a tad more beavertail on the frame rear.