New Frontier Armory polymer lower review

kymasabe

This is the 4th stripped polymer lower that I've bought, 4th brand I've tried, and like the others, will probably not keep it. This one has the funkiest finish of all the ones i've tried, has an odd rough/rippled finish that makes it look cheap. Assembly was straight forward, the only problem I ran into with the receiver was the hole for the safety detent was not drilled completely and there was no spring tension on the safety lever, was easily remedied and now seems to be fine. All other aspects of assembly were normal, (mostly) and everything fits fine. I found my aluminum and Magpul mags fit tight, really have to tug to get them out, but I found that HexMags fit better.

Now, on to the serious problems with this build !! NFA says on their website that you need to use their polymer lightweight lower parts kit in order to maintain the warranty on the lower receiver. I bought the lower parts kit and it's absolute garbage. The takedown pins, safety lever, buffer detent, trigger, hammer, disconnector, and mag release parts are ALL plastic. I tried building with it but the take down pins flex too much, the safety felt like crap,
I didn't trust the tiny plastic buffer detent to hold my spring and buffer in place, and the mag release felt weird and had a strange "click/hitch" to it when using it. The hammer and trigger however, were downright dangerous !! I could pull the trigger, feel a click in the trigger, hear a click in the receiver, but the hammer wouldn't fall. The trigger wouldn't move any further back, but if I pulled harder and applied more pressure to the trigger, the hammer would fall. If I reset, and pulled the trigger and would happen again, and I found that I could open the gun, lift the upper receiver, and get the hammerm to drop my gently pushing the top of the hammer with my finger, or with the gun closed, a swift bang to the side of the gun would get the hammer to drop. I removed ALL the NFA lightweight build kit junk and replaced it all with CMMG build parts, and now the gun functions properly. The only part that didn't fit correctly was the mag release as the slot in the side of the receiver was narrow and a mil-spec mag release barely fit, so I installed a Strike Industries mag release as it's a little narrower and it fit beautifully.
I've reported the problems I've had three times to NFA's customer service over the past month and haven't received a single response, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say their customer service sucks.
So, recap: The receiver doesn't look great, looks kinda cheap, but seems to function fine (besides the tight magwell), and I'd definately recommend building with a reputable mil-spec kit. If you void the warranty, who cares !! It's a $35 lower receiver !!
Oh, one last thing I just remembered, the screw for the pistol grip was too long, I couldn't get multiple grips to tighten completely (A2, Magpul, or Spikes). I cut about 1/4 inch off the end of the screw and problem solved...FYI.
Just know...if you buy one, don't expect any kind of customer service, you're on your own.

Shadow9mm

Id be interested in a hybrid receiver. punched skeletonized steel inside the polymer. think steel reinforced glock or ak mags. Maybe they make them. but all you hear is polymer, and see broken lowers. Im not gonna waste my time or money

stagpanther

I'd sooner start running marathons and go to the gym and weight train to be able to carry the extra few ounces in an aluminum receiver than use a poly.:)

Shadow9mm

I'd sooner start running marathons and go to the gym and weight train to be able to carry the extra few ounces in an aluminum receiver than use a poly.:)
I always felt the advantages of polymer were to reduce price and increase ease and speed of production, with weight savings being lower on the importance level.

stagpanther

I always felt the advantages of polymer were to reduce price and increase ease and speed of production, with weight savings being lower on the importance level.
I always felt they had had no advantages whatsoever other than appealing to the 80%/off the books crowd.

Shadow9mm

I can see that, but the idea of more receivers at a cheaper prics sounds like a good idea to me. But until they can make it i will happily keep using the aluminum ones.

kymasabe

I agree, there really isn't much of a weight savings. I think the difference in only 3 or 4 ounces. And, I'm perfectly fine with aluminum lowers, all my others are aluminum, this was more of an experiment to see how good or bad the polymer lower was going to be.
The lower receiver really wasn't that bad. The parts kit and customer service was useless.
Would I buy another one? No.
Am I selling it? You bet your arse I am, not interested in keeping it.

zukiphile

kymasabe said:
The only part that didn't fit correctly was the mag release as the slot in the side of the receiver was narrow and a mil-spec mag release barely fit, so I installed a Strike Industries mag release as it's a little narrower and it fit beautifully.

I took a dremel to mine and now the metal catch moves freely.

I don't have much bad to say about the lowers or most of the polymer parts, but my polymer parts mostly came installed in the lower. I bought a carbine lower or two a decade ago when lowers were hard to find, and a stripped lower or two.

The triggers on mine were not bad. Each was four or five pounds with smooth travel and moderate overtravel. The trigger blades are very thin. I tried to make one of the triggers better by moving some of the polymer around, and I only succeeded in ruining it. I think it feels a bit more refined than a bad milspec trigger, but not as good as one of these polished milspec triggers.

The pins flex, but the quality that annoyed me was the need to have some sort of punch to get them out. Had they made the pins just a bit longer, I might be able to get the lower off without a tool.

The things I like:

The polymer magazine catch allows smooth insertion. The safety is smooth with a positive click. The lower thermal density of polymer makes contact with the lower more pleasant in very cold or very hot weather.

I'd recommend one of these for a first self assembled lower. Not having to worrying about scratching or gouging the polymer let me focus on getting everything together. I don't think I would sell mine just because they probably have a low enough market value that it wouldn't be worth the time involved.

ETA - I just took a look at the New Frontier website and it doesn't look as if they offer stripped lowers any longer. I think the prior time I looked a couple of years ago they were $22. I did see that a polymer LPK was nearly as expensive as a regular LPK less the trigger. I took a look at Tennessee Arms, a place that also sells polymer lowers. Theirs are now more expensive than Anderson lowers.

Last edited: