New Friend at the range.

jugornot

Met Jack today. The range was busy so I was on rimfire range. Fellow walks up first time at the range. Asks some normal questions. I continue shooting my CZ. Scope doesn't have enough elevation for 250 yards. It comes up 5" short. Welcome the Kentucky. Looks like a 6" plate hold top of plate and starts smacking steel. Look over at my new friend and his 22 has Anschutz. Nice rifle. I move over to the 500 yard range. I have been smacking 500 yards enough that it gets boring, and he shows up and sets up. He had bore sighted the rifle for 200 yards, but this is the first time he has shot it. He is really lost on dialing in. I asked what he was shooting. He said 140 something in lake city brass. I can't fiind a 149 grain bullet. It was a Ruger m77. So I took best guess at barrel twist, velocity,, scope height,, everything else.

He was having trouble seeing his hit. I said try 200. He smacked the popper dead middle. I said what do you want to try. He said 300. I told him dial up .7 mils. I watched him hit dead center. I asked want to try 400yards? He said 500. I said dial to 2.5. Smacks center again. I asked him what do you want to do now. He said I'm done.

He lives 2 hours north of the range. I live 2 hours south of the range. He asked what the program was. I said Applied Ballistics and it was $30. Gave him my number so next time we can arrange a meet up and I will teach him how to use the program. Like some others here, I am a fan of Bryan Litz. It definitely impressed him. And after a 15 year lay off,, he picked right back up.

I'll have the real info for the next meet.

Last edited:

buck460XVR

I've found guns are like motorcycles. They are a great opportunity to meet folks you never would have met otherwise. Some of my best friends I've met on the road, a thousand miles from home. Have met folks at the range that inspired me, befriended me and some that just plain scared the 'ell outta me.

With my own private range now, I very seldom go to a public range. Kinda miss the antics.

stephen426

buck460XVR said:
I've found guns are like motorcycles. They are a great opportunity to meet folks you never would have met otherwise. Some of my best friends I've met on the road, a thousand miles from home. Have met folks at the range that inspired me, befriended me and some that just plain scared the 'ell outta me.

With my own private range now, I very seldom go to a public range. Kinda miss the antics.

Cars can be the same way as well. That is how I met one of my best friends more that 12 years ago. He was parked near my office and had an almost identical car except his was one year newer (2002 BMW M3 in Silver). Turns out we had a lot of other common interest and he is like my long lost brother from another mother. If people are curious and want to check out my guns, I usually offer to let them shoot a mag through it.

jugornot

Jack quit shooting 15 years ago when his shooting buddy died. His skills were quick to return out to 500 yards. I think most males have interests in shooting, motorcycles and cars for the baby boomers generation.

J.G. Terry

No Telling what you may find....

We were shooting a dukes mixture of firearms at the range some months ago. I complimented the person shooting next to us. Guy had a really nice CZ 550. He shared that it was a custom CZ in 404 Jeffery. This rifle new to him. He was getting ready for his third trip to Africa. Nice Story

This Friday, we were having a sale of some estate reloading gear. I shared with the club president about crossing paths with this guy. Our leader confirmed the guy was real. Leader also allowed the guy had used several double barreled rifles on these trips. That guy shooting the CZ was real.

Us retired people shoot during the day. That's the time you run into some real genuine articles. Another interesting shooter with us is a veteran of the Chosin Reservoir.

Last edited: